Will my Vista system run 2000i?

Joe Dill

Will my Vista system run 2000i? If so, how do I get the system to accept the program?

Regards,

Joe Dill:)

I would surmise that the chances of getting 2000i to run without a problem under the Vista OS will be slim to none.

There were two threads within the last month or so about running 2000 on a Vista based system. While both said initially they got it to work both also reported subsequent problems. I think the problems were coincident with Microsoft updates for the OS subsequently rendering AutoCAD unusuable.

But what the heck, it isn't my computer, go ahead and try it. Please post back with your results be they good, bad or ugly. We'll all be cheering you on. Good luck.

Is this the Dill Engineering that is located in Florence, Alabama? Raymond Joseph Dill, mechanical engineer?

Might I suggest you Google the following...

"autocad 2000 vista compatibility"

You'll come across some of the challenges others have encountered trying to make this combination of software play nice together.

It doesn't look good. From Autodesk's forum:

"I run AutoCAD 2k in Vista Home Premium.

The only problem that I have is that once I save a cad drawing I can't do anything with the file, can't open, move, copy or even see properties but, when I put the file on a thumb drive I can do all of the above it just won't work from my documents directory.

I have checked until I am blue in the face and have not found a solution."

Let us know how you make out. And, good luck!

I use MS XP Pro SP3. Have installed AutoCAD 2000, 2005, and 2007. No problems.

This won't help you today but just to let everyone know, if you upgrade to Windows 7 Premium (available this week only for $100 as a pre-order for October 22 release) there is an XP compatibility mode.

Oops, I don't know if AC2000i plays with XP better than with Vista.

I too ran 2000 on XP Pro until my hard drive went belly up and had to be replaced. I did not bother to reload it as I had already moved onto 2007. But yes, it should work just fine.

This won't help you today but just to let everyone know, if you upgrade to Windows 7 Premium (available this week only for $100 as a pre-order for October 22 release) there is an XP compatibility mode.

Remember, in order to run the XP compatability mode you must meet certain requirements such as.

1. own a full copy of XP

2. meet the system requirements

3. have a processor that has the emulation stuff built in

Microsoft has info on which processors meet the requirements to be able to run in cpmpatibility mode.

Heck, you could probably find a computer with XP loaded on it already for a mere $150-$200 on any craigslist website. Dedicate this system to just running AutoCAD 2000.

Are you doing 2D, 3D or a combination of both?

i got to buy it! :D

AutoCad 2000 ran for years on an desktop with OS XP.

The desktops were minimally spec'ed and CAD ran fine.

All our work was and is, 2D.

We now use ACAD '05 and ACAD '07 both with XP Pro SP3 OS's.