Hatch area problem

BenGoble

Hello, I've been trying to calculate large areas using fills but I keep encountering a problem with some of the hatchs no showing an area and thus ruining my calculation. I've found out that I can correct it by removing certain crossing point between lines as is shown below in my screenshots. Is there any reason this is causing a particular problem and can I avoid it to save me having to go back over my hatches checking for these malformed hatches?problem hatch area.jpg

altered.jpg

What version of AutoCAD are you using? If 2010 there is a way. Depending on how your hatch is set up, you are able to use grips and adjust the hatch to fit an object even when that object has been adjusted.

I make the hatch boundry a polyline for each section. Use the fillet set at 0.0 radius or join each segment to make a closed polyline.

I make the hatch boundry a polyline for each section. Use the fillet set at 0.0 radius or join each segment to make a closed polyline.

Hmmm, I dont work much with polylines, But I just might have to give that a try!!

You can put the hatch boundries on a seperate layer and turn it off so that it will not plot.

One of the main reasons that I do this is for the calulation's with the LIST cmd. Try it some time you will be surprised:shock:

• 4 years later...

I had the same problems with hatches formed from selecting several plines as boundary. when it doesn't give me the area, I tried reform boundary. the boundary lines will not join. I had to check on each join point and create a healthy, closed boundary. then it's easier to hatch and gives an area. the thing is, it's impossible to debug every boundary when there are hundreds of hatches. damn.

by the way, list doesn't give the area either. there is simply no results when cad encounters Boolean calculation failure.:(