Is it worth upgrading from 2008 to 2010?

D-Zyne

I'm currently running 2008 in an architectural environment- primarily 2D floor plans and elevations but starting to do more and more requests for 3D renderings and full room modeling.

When I upgraded from 06 to 08, it took me awhile to adjust (I'm weird that way). My superiors have asked me if I wanted to jump up to 2010 - they always like to have the newest toys on the block- but I also don't want to waste money either so I figured I'd ask if you guys thought it was worth it.

Are there any really cool new 'must-haves' in 2010 that would justify the jump?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CADMASTER1128

• ReMark

• Cad64

• DVDM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am in the same boat as you. I use ACAD-A 2008. I have a student version of 2010 and I still use 2008. The way I look at it most people don't have 2010 so they wont be able to open a drawing that I send to them. Not only that, but 2010 has nice UI (user Interface). But it takes time getting use to.

Also, if you are just doing 2D floor plans then I would stay with 2008. 2010 wont offer to many new features that you are going to use. And being that 2010 is new, you will use more computer resources than 2008 currently does, in other words, 2010 might be a little slower, and lag at times.

However, 2010 might offer some features that may increase productivity such as wall clean-up, and intuitive hatch grips.

It's all up to you, but I do run both, and find myself using 2008 more. The only reason I have 2010 is because that is what we are using at school. And since I am on summer break, I am going to start learning it. That way I am ahead of the game once school starts back up.

R14 dwg

R12 dxf

I think Autodesk will keep it this way for a long time. We may be looking at AutoCAD 2100 is when R12 get phased out (LOL):D

Apart from the usual minor improvements, small useless tweaks, and a few new bugs, the biggest addition for me was parametrics and constraints. Having said that, I'm yet to actually use it for anything, because for all these years i made do without it just fine as well.

I don't really like the new interface aka the Ribbon. Yes it looks slick, but it's slow to respond, requires more mouse clicks, and actually takes up more of your screen realestate. It's good for people new to acad though.

Apart from the usual minor improvements, small useless tweaks, and a few new bugs,

What bugs do you have?

Have '07 and '05 installed on desktops.

Laptops still have '05.

I use 2005 'cause I find myself using the laptop more nowadays.

At the desktop workstation I occasionally use '07 just for the heck of it.

All our work is 2D and '05 works fine.

All our work is saved in AutoCAD 2000 mostly to email to clients.

AutoCAD 2000 resides only in the file. Hasn't been used in years.

At times posted *.dwg files can't be opened. We that work in the past can't open the newer version *.dwg. :wink:

Your newer version of CAD cant open an older version? Thats weird cause I can open a 2004 in 2010.

AutoCAD '05 and/or '07 can't open newer versions of CAD; i.e.: '05 states "Invalid File" trying to open an '09 *.dwg file. :huh:

OH! That makes sense. Yea, I knew that they couldn't do that. But if you have the converter from Autodesk they make it easy.

What bugs do you have?

The thing that annoys me the most, is that the properties palette is very slow to refresh. If you're selecting objects of the same kind, one after the other, every time you pick a new one it pauses for a second. As a result, I turn it off all the time, turning it back on when i need it, which is all the time as well. The quick properties helps relieve this problem a little bit. Under acad 2006 i had the properties palette open permanently, without a hitch.

The floating layers palette is slow and buggy as well, and i use the classic mode instead.

Dynamic tooltip tends to slow things down a bit sometimes, but i still have it on all the time.

I find that with acad from year to year it's one step forward, one step back. Just when you gain something in one area, you get slowed down in another.

So you more have slow down bugs more than anything, I was going to say that not going to be good cause my school just bought 60 seats of 2010, and they are not going to be happy if it's going to have major bugs in it.

It doesn't have major bugs in it. I generally don't use the new versions until a service pack has been released, but I've been using 2010 every day, and aside from some minor irritations, it's pretty solid. It's much better than 2009, which I never used because it just never worked right. It was extremely slow and jerky and even installing the service packs didn't help.

The floating palettes are a good idea, but I don't think they have really fine tuned them yet. So either leave them closed and only open them when you need them, or use them in classic mode.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is perfect timing for me.

My boss was just asking if it was time to say goodbye to 2008 and move upto 2010. I figured that I would see if there was anything on here about it. 99% of my work is 2D with maybe 1% touching on 3D drawings. I also require the most of my real-estate so I run dual-monitors with my tool-bars on the right-screen and my drawing-space on my left-screen (minimal tool-bars loaded).

The screen-shots that I have found of 2010 show too much wasted space taken up by the toolbars and not enough space for drawings. Is there a way to reset the toolbar to be customizable like 2008? Can it be "simpilfied"?

Can anyone using 2010 post some new screen-shots of the program in use - especially if the menus are "reverted" to a classic nature.

Can anyone using 2010 post some new screen-shots of the program in use - especially if the menus are "reverted" to a classic nature.

What version of 2010 are you wanting I have Architecture which I have Posted here. I have also attached my classic 2010 as well using the toolbars I use.

I hope this helps!

ACAD 2010.jpg

ACAD 2010 classic.jpg

ACAD 2010 menu.jpg

I didn't know what 2010 looked like till now. It looks smooth.

I've heard of all kinds of problems for 2010. I think it'd be better to change over to 09 the latest until they fix the problems with 2010.

Thankfully I'll be using Revit 09 in about 5 weeks due to my school changing over.

I am only using 2010 so that when school starts back up here I am ready to go into the new software without any problems.