Help: Northing and Easting??

tzframpton

I think this is a question for the Civil / Survey guys. I am trying to locate the origin point of a BIM file and it has Northing and Easting with Elevation notes on it. Can I post these and get some help? Thanks....

I had a look and plotted the Coord's.

Ithink this is what you were looking for;

#137 Command line entry= Point> 4993.679956,4996.331511, 99.98> enter.

This is the X,Y,Z of that position.

Note that This is done in 2009 2D but the info is there to convert to 3D.

Usually, Northings are Y, Eastings are X and Elevations are Z, so this is the way I would have plotted a line joining the points (I have just labelled pt 140 with its coordinates).

I seem to be at a difference from Car5858 :(

EastNorth.jpg

I was not sure I mine was correct Eldon, Now that I have thought about it some more I see my error. Thanks for the correction.

If you have the coord table in a text or spreadsheet format you could utilize the importxyz lisp that jeffery p. sanders did to import them all at once. You may have to rearrange the columns and get rid of the extra columns.

• 1 month later...

To manually enter coordinates you enter the Easting first, then the northing (That's X,Y). The coordinates that you have appear to be in feet and on a local project grid system base on an assumed coordinate value on am initial control point with assumed coordinates of N5000.00, E5000.00 and an assuned elevation on that point of 100.00

This is pretty much a "standard" in surveying. Some use 10000,10000,100.00 for an origin depending on the size of the job. Note that none of this data is on any state plane coordinate system or any real vertical datum. ALL is assumed, but all of it will be correct relative to itself.

• 1 year later...

What does "locate the origin point" mean?

Do you mean you're trying to locate where it's at in relation to the Earth? Those look like assumed coordinates, so you would also need the coordinates of some control points on your job site. Then you should be able to perform any field stakeout or data collection using those points.

If you want to combine this with GIS information, you'd need to equate your assumed coordinate system to a defined coordinate system like your local State Plane or UTM grid. For that, you'd need both the assumed coordinates for some control points, as well as the State Plane coordinates of the same control points.