Looking for _|_|_|_| linetype?

I'm looking for a linetype which looks like _|_|_|_|_ as one joined up line.

I have had a look round some of the available linetypes online but the closest I can find has gaps between the parts.

I don't have enough AutoCAD knowledge to create this myself so does anyone know where I can get it from?

You do have enough AutoCAD knowledge you just don't realize it yet. Take a look at the Express Tools command MKLTYPE.

Used to be a linetype based upon the railroad track image seen on maps often.

I have not used it in decades now, but was some sort of a lisp type program that had to be run one time. Then, if you wanted to alter the spacing, had to run it again and rename.

Wm.

Options for creating custom linetypes.

• Directly edit AutoCAD’s acad.lin file, or a copy thereof, using any ASCII text editor such as Notepad. You can add a new definition or copy and revise an existing definition.
  • From within AutoCAD type –linetype at the command line followed by for Create. Follow the prompts as they are presented. A new .lin file can be created or AutoCAD’s own acad.lin file can be appended.
  • In full AutoCAD, click on Express, then Tools and select Make Linetype. Follow the prompts as they are presented.
  • Use a LISP routine called MakeLT as featured in Cadalyst magazine, September, 2008 and written by Ron Perez. The code is available at the Cadalyst website www.cadalyst.com. Click on the tab CAD Tips. Search for the routine by name, Create Custom Linetype or by tip number 3011.
  • Buy an aftermarket complex line generating program such as AutoLINE 2009. Available at www.autodsys.com. The software was previewed in the August, 2008 issue of Cadalyst magazine.

BTW: When new linetype definitions are added to acad.lin insert them after the heading User Defined Linetypes to ensure they will migrate successfully when upgrading to a future version of AutoCAD.

Note that if you have a duplicate linetype definition residing in the User Defined Linetypes section of the file it will take precedence over a definition found in the beginning of the file. Consider it to be like an override.

This link will take you directly to CAD Tips. http://cadtips.cadalyst.com/

The link mentioned above will take you to the homepage of Cadalyst magazine. If you haven’t got this website on your Favorites you should remedy that oversight immediately.

Now, what are you waiting for? Go out and create some custom linetypes and have some fun in the process.

I tried to create one by creating an object then telling that object to appear at an interval of 0 but it didn't work at all.

I am totally lost. Is there not a similar linetype available online already which I can just download and use?!

I explored the acad.lin, and found that Autocad already gives a Tracks linetype. You seem to want half this, so I editted the Tracks linetype to give a new linetype Track.

I reduced the scaling of the shape by half, and introduced a Y offset, and it looks fairly close to what you want.

*TRACKS,Tracks -|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

A,.15,[TRACK1,ltypeshp.shx,s=.25],.15

*TRACK,Track _|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_

A,.15,[TRACK1,ltypeshp.shx,s=.125,y=.125],.15

Track.jpg

Of course, if the lines are on the wrong side of the line, then you have to have a backwards line with linetype Kcart, with a negative Y offset.

*TRACKS,Tracks -|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

A,.15,[TRACK1,ltypeshp.shx,s=.25],.15

*TRACK,Track ┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴┴

A,.15,[TRACK1,ltypeshp.shx,s=.125,y=.125],.15

*KCART,Kcart ┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬┬

A,.15,[TRACK1,ltypeshp.shx,s=.125,y=-.125],.15

Kcart.jpg