Question about Lenovo thinkpad R400

CadDan

Hey guys how's it going? I was wondering if this laptop would run Rivet Arc and Autocad Arc.

Specs:

CPU: Intel celeron 575 (2.00 GHZ)

Display: 14.1 WXGA

Graphics: Intel graphics accelerator

RAM: 3GB

HDD: 250GB

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• CadDan

• Tankman

• Ryder76

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about Lenovo™ R400 but, do know plenty about the Thinkpad™ laptops running AutoCAD.

After numerous laptop PC's, I wouldn't shop another brand.

The IBM/Lenovo laptops rule!

Never a problem running AutoCAD '05 or '07 on these laptops.

Graphics Media Accelerators (GMAs) are intelligent and responsive graphics engines built into the chipset that is on the motherboard. This integration provides improved visual quality, faster graphics performance, and multiple display options. These GMA's also allow an integrated graphics machine to be built without a separate graphics card, which can reduce cost and streamline power consumption.

I like the 14" screens too, crystal clear, bright, easy on the eyes! Smaller business size, easy to transport.

Can you find a model with a dedicated graphics card? Graphic chips aren't the best way to go when you're doing serious work. They tend to underperform thus putting the burden on system memory and/or the CPU. At that point system performance begins to suffer.

That's the thing though. I've looked around and can't find anything under $1000 that's Autocad worthy (dedicated graphics). This lenovo is originally $1300, but with student discount it knocks off $400 making it about $900.

If there is a better laptop that can work with AC, then please point me in the right direction, as I know didly squat about laptops as I've never had one.

Budget woes huh? Well if you go with the Lenovo then max out the RAM. At least you'll go a little longer before you see a performance hit. Make sure you look at the settings for virtual memory when you get the laptop too. Might have to be adjusted (upward).

The ThinkPad T400 2764 has a "discrete" graphics option. The base price is $100 higher. I suggest you also opt to increase the RAM to 4GB (another $110) as maxing this baby out is way to expensive for your budget.

I did find a different lenovo with an ATI Mobility Radeon for about $1300 (includes discount). I might be able to flex the budget to that amount, or see if my credit is good enough for the bill later option.

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor P8800

Operating system: Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate

Display type: 14.1 WXGA+ TFT, w/ CCFL Backlight, Camera

System graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon 3470 with 256MB

Total memory: 3 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)

Hard drive: 320GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm

Talk to a rep and plead poverty. Maybe they'll take pity on you and cut you a better deal. I think you'll find that if you add a graphics card you'll be happier in the long run. Six months down the road you don't want to be kicking yourself you didn't go that route.

I have yet to buy anything as I'm still considering the options and waiting for the pay to come in.

That axi looks pretty good. Is it a reputable company?

Yes, Xi Computers is a reputable company. Previous to getting into laptops they concentrated solely on desktop computer systems targeted at the CAD community. Their computers consistently rank at or near the top in comparisons done by Cadalyst magazine.

Now there's a 'pooter I could love...

Fifteen years ago I would have no trouble picking what I wanted and needed, but I have not kept up and my hardware knowledge isn't what I would like it to be.

I have ACAD Electrical 2008 and Inventor 2008. I want to run both (not necessarily at the same time) as well as use the laptop for all of my personal stuff - online banking, email, games, photos, documents.

The base features and price look good - what would need to be added to give me the laptop I need/want? Accessories I can pick for myself - what I'm talking about is the internal stuff.

You might upgrade the base configuration thusly:

Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz 1066FSB w/3MB L2 cache (+$145)

4MB DDR2 667MHz PC2-5300 (+$49)

320GB 7200 RPM SATA II hard drive (+$49)

This brings the cost to $1032.

Here's the hard part. What OS do you want to run? Vista or XP Pro. Xi is currently charging $89 for the switch to XP. If you go Vista what version do you want?

I would want to run XP. I don't want to upgrade until Window 7 has been out for a while - maybe three years or so.

Then you'll pay to do it. Don't know if you get an "upgrade" certificate for Win7.

You'll have to edit the boot.ini file for the /3GB switch setting too.

Seeing as I am not going to be doing a lot of 3D work, would the dedicated GPU be necessary?

I plan to have this as a school/everyday laptop and will travel a lot (don't care about weight as hauling around 8 lbs is nothing if in a backpack). This will also play a couple games(crysis more then likely), multitask, browse the web, etc. Big hard drives are a plus but is not needed as I carry my life on a flash drive. It's that or build a pc, but would prefer the laptop as I move around a lot. Would prefer the $800-$900 range. Can't be too hard to find a good enough laptop in that range, but it's proving it'self difficult.

The only knowledge of the forthcoming 3D work is in a month or so but won't be very much. But I see what you mean. No telling if farther down the road I will be in 3D work.

Would this be good?

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1G

Screen 15.6" WXGA

RAM 4GB

HDD320GB

GPU NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M 512MB