Model/Paper Space - I still don't Geddit

Manic_d

Hi

As the title suggests I still don’t understand the concept of Model/Paper space. Previously I have used Vectorworks and when starting a project I first set up the paper size and also the Scale I’m going to work in. I'd like to do the same in AutoCAD but I’m not sure how.

Kind Regards,

Manic

to quickly summarise: in modelspace you draw what you need in real scale (mm, cm, in - you choose).

in paperspace you set up the page dimensions and insert your model at the scale you want.

I think a slight correction to the above post is in order. You don't insert your model at scale rather you create viewports that allow you to see back into model space. It is the viewports that are then "scaled". Anything drawn in paper space, like your titleblock and border, are drawn 1:1.

I've heard it put this way. Look at an object like a car for instance. Now take a sheet of paper and cut a rectangular hole in it. Now try looking at the car through the hole in the paper. To get the whole car to appear in that hole (viewport) you'll have to back up a few paces. The car appears to be getting smaller (scaling down) yet we know it is still full size. Has the paper size changed? No, it hasn't. In this example, the car is in model space and the sheet of paper is equivalent to paper space. Hope this helps.

I think a slight correction to the above post is in order. You don't insert your model at scale rather you create viewports that allow you to see back into model space. It is the viewports that are then "scaled". Anything drawn in paper space, like your titleblock and border, are drawn 1:1.

I've heard it put this way. Look at an object like a car for instance. Now take a sheet of paper and cut a rectangular hole in it. Now try looking at the car through the hole in the paper. To get the whole car to appear in that hole (viewport) you'll have to back up a few paces. The car appears to be getting smaller (scaling down) yet we know it is still full size. Has the paper size changed? No, it hasn't. In this example, the car is in model space and the sheet of paper is equivalent to paper space. Hope this helps.

Great way of putting it ReMark! although i know what they are i've never had it put like that. This would be a great help for beginners and it would be a lot easier describing it this way :wink:

To add a bit to Remarks description -

If you are old enough to remember back to the drawing board days we used to get preprinted borders on sheets of a certain size (or laboriously draw them each time).

Paperspace is the replacement of these preprinted sheets. You can predefine your borders, titleblocks and sheet sizes. Do it once and forget it. Done. A sheet of paper is a sheet of paper 1:1 size. It is what it is. Real world. No calculations needed.

On the drawing board we would have to use a scale to layout our views that would not otherwise fit on the sheet of paper. A lot of scaling, a lot of chances for errors.

Now in CAD we model at 1:1 in modelspace. No calculations of scale. The size of paper that will be used is of no concern at this point. Irrelevant. Don't care. The model is what it is. Real world 1:1 When it comes to doing our layout (fitting the model to the appropriate sheet size) there is one calculation of scale (and the computer does it for us, and really we are not scaling anything - not changing the sizes, only how close or far we view something through our paperspace window into modelspace). And if we decide to change scale or sheet sizes or move views around - all seamless and the model doesn't change.

I used CAD (various programs) for about 7 years before I caught on to paperspace/modelspace. Before that I was constantly doing calculations for borders drawn in modelspace. (At least I always did the model 1:1 since switching from the drawing board to CAD). Boarder in modelspace is wrong method - too much work. Some will argue that both methods are acceptable. They are wrong.

Basically to put it in simple mans terms:

Model space is for viewing,orbiting, in depth editing and is where you should actually draw whatever it is your doing.

Paperspace is for mainly printing/scale purposes, and to see what you have actually drawn looks like on the required paper size you have chosen and most importantly to scale ie. 1:1.. etc, but of course you can also still edit in paperspace aswell!

That's my take anyway.

Thanks for all the replies I haven’t the time to read them all now but I will study the comments and try to understand what has been said once I get home from work.

Great way of putting it ReMark! although i know what they are i've never had it put like that. This would be a great help for beginners and it would be a lot easier describing it this way :wink:

I agree 100% ... Good job ReMark!!

Thank you one and all. I can only take credit for passing along the general idea. I believe it might have been Lynn Allen who first explained it in a similar manner in a two part article she wrote called "Lost in Paper Space". I'm not 100% sure.