Partial Blank Space (Dead Area?)

gohanrice

Sorry if this has been covered before: I've searched for it, searched Google for it, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of it. I also have no idea what to call it either.

When switching between windows within AutoCAD ( we have 2008 ), every once in a while, the bottom 1/4 to 1/2 of the drawing portion goes blank. The toolbars, command line, menus, etc are all in tact and work just fine. Within the drawing area, of the part that is visible, when clicking anywhere, it is offset by the same distance as the size of the blank area. Zoom extents does nothing, the only way this gets fixed is by switching to another layout tab or model space tab and switching back or by restarting AutoCAD. Switching windows within AutoCAD or to another program doesn't fix it either. If left alone, eventually AutoCAD crashes.

My coworkers and I have come across the problem quite frequently: at least once a day for at least one person in the office. It's more of an annoyance than anything since we know how to fix each particular occurance, but we would like to know what's causing it and how to fix it permanently so it doesn't happen at all.

Whatever is happening isn't normal and you shouldn't have to put up with it. Where to begin?

How many computers are experiencing this problem?

You must all be on a network right?

Everyone using the same version of AutoCAD?

Are all the computers exactly set up the same?

When did the problem first occur?

Are all versions of CAD up to date with service packs?

Are you using any custom lisp or VBA routines?

Just such a bizarre problem I'm shooting in the dark here hoping I hit something.

How many computers are experiencing this problem?

5 computers

You must all be on a network right?

Yes, with our drawing files on a server.

Everyone using the same version of AutoCAD?

Yes, 2008. We haven't had the problem with prior versions.

Are all the computers exactly set up the same?

In regards to AutoCAD and networking, very similar, but slightly different toolbars and options set up.

When did the problem first occur?

Sometime after the installation of AutoCAD 2008, but not long after.

Are all versions of CAD up to date with service packs?

Yes, they are set up to automatically update.

Are you using any custom lisp or VBA routines?

Yes, we've got a few but it's never happened right after using one. We've been using the same ones on prior versions of AutoCAD but never experienced this problem until AutoCAD 2008. None of us have noticed any relation between them, but I'll ask everyone to keep it in mind.

Hey, excactly the same problem here with 2008!

I thought I was alone...thanks for the support, gohanrice.

When acad does that, I use and most times it works.

Do I see a pattern here? Kind of makes me glad I'm 1) on subscription and 2) elected to skip installing 2008. Either of you on subscription?

Do I see a pattern here? Kind of makes me glad I'm 1) on subscription and 2) elected to skip installing 2008. Either of you on subscription?

Forgive my poor English...what do you mean by subscription?

Did either of you happen to check the AutoDesk website, including the discussion forums, to see if there was an infortmation to be had about this type of problem?

Did you check the AUGI forums?

AutoDesk offers what it calls a Subscription. For a yearly fee the owner of the software is entitled to free updates, limited release special content, and a few other perks one of which is the option to contact the Subscription Center to get assistance with problems. I'm in the U.S. My company just renewed my subscription and it cost $477 (including tax). I've been on subscription since we got AutoCAD 2007. Therefore, as a result, I've been automatically updated with AutoCAD 2008, 2009 and 2010.

I see what you mean. Here in Greece everything is much more expensive, I didn't buy that subscription and I will pay about 3500,00 euros to buy 2010...

3500,00 euros is just plain outrageous. Why does AutoDesk cost so much more outside of the U.S.? I could understand a 10% difference but your getting gouged. That's my personal opinion.