Help question!

CADTEX

Hello-

First post and thanks to anyone who can help. I'm good with CAD but by no means a guru.

I am running 2004LD and received a Survey drawing from a client. The drawing has a boundary drawn correctly but when I draw a line by direction, such as N45E, the line goes in a NW'erly direction although it labels as N45E. This is driving me nuts since I have have never had this happen to me before. When in a prototype, everything works fine.

Is the UCS icon on and are you in the World UCS? If yes. is W pointing up? If not the UCS or view may be rotated/twisted. Try listing one of the segments of the boundary with a known bearing.

Is the UCS icon on and are you in the World UCS? If yes. is W pointing up? If not the UCS or view may be rotated/twisted. Try listing one of the segments of the boundary with a known bearing.

The UCS is on World. I copied one of the lines labeled as Due North over to the side and labeled it and it came up as N57*17'45"E.

Seems like the plan got rotated (that would be a capital offense in some engineering firms). By any chance did an architect have their hands on it?

You could rotate it 1 radian (although rotate > reference might be easier).

Seems like the plan got rotated (that would be a capital offense in some engineering firms). By any chance did an architect have their hands on it?

You could rotate it 1 radian (although rotate > reference might be easier).

I doubt that happened. It's an ALTA survey and all linework is at is should, the UCS is on World with the X point up, but yet lines drawn by direction (and labeled) do not appear correctly. I'm stumped. I'm not sure how to fix this so lines drawn by direction actually go in the proper direction.

Actually the Y on the UCS icon should be pointing up for North to be vertical on the screen. Try the Plan command.

If you want, post the boundary and I'll take a look.

Actually the Y on the UCS icon should be pointing up for North to be vertical on the screen. Try the Plan command.

If you want, post the boundary and I'll take a look.

My apologies. The Y is indeed pointing north.

How would I post the boundary?

I think you need 10 posts before you can attach a file. (you could make a few new posts), the go to the 'Go Advanced' button at the bottom of the page > Manage Attachments and attach the .dwg file (you may need to zip it first, if it's bigger than the size limitations).

One other thought, do your Units setting resemble the attached?

j1.jpg

I think you need 10 posts before you can attach a file. (you could make a few new posts), the go to the 'Go Advanced' button at the bottom of the page > Manage Attachments and attach the .dwg file (you may need to zip it first, if it's bigger than the size limitations).

One other thought, do your Units setting resemble the attached?

It is the same save for the Angle Type being Degree/Minute/Second rather than the Surveyor's Units. I could try it in Surveyor Units though I never have... what is the format for entering DDMMSS when the Angle Type is Surveyor's Units? I'm still flumoxed!!!!

It's probably the same as you've been doing...

To enter a line 100' long @ N45d45' 30"E. you'd enter

@100

I was more concerned with the Direction Control than units. Is the Base Angle East = E (and not Other)?

It's probably the same as you've been doing...

To enter a line 100' long @ N45d45' 30"E. you'd enter

@100

I was more concerned with the Direction Control than units. Is the Base Angle East = E (and not Other)?

still no dice. :(

I started a new drawing and line by direction works as usual, no hiccups. The new drawing has the following:

ANGBASE 0d0'0"

UNITS has Angle type of D/M/S and a Direction of East.

In short, everything worls fine in a new drawing, same as I have done for years. However, this client drawing is screwy like I have not seen. Since I'm on my own here, I need to figure it out and no luck so far.

This has really got me worked up!

It's kinda hard to tell without seeing your client's dwg. Have you tried inserting the client's dwg into a new dwg? Or Wblock the client's dwg, and open the new dwg.

It's kinda hard to tell without seeing your client's dwg. Have you tried inserting the client's dwg into a new dwg? Or Wblock the client's dwg, and open the new dwg.

Yes sir, that worked! I WBLOCK'd it as a new drawing with Map info attached and renamed it. Works fine now! Just wish I knew why it did that, being the inquisitive sort I am.

Thank you very much! and,

Thank you also to each and every person that responded!