Dimensioning Problem with Selecting

Bill Tillman

Someone sent me a drawing that seems to have a setting I'm unfamiliar with.

When I try to dimension the part, I choose linear dimension but then when I try to move the mouse over the intersection I want to start at, the autoselction doesn't appear, like the intersection, or middle. I can type END and then the apperture tool will appear and I can select the point for the dimension to begin.

I checked the OSNAP settings and they are turned on. I checked pickfirst and it is set to 1. Is there some other variable I need to be working with on this?

When I draw a line of other object, the apperture selections work fine. It's when I try to dimension something that I'm having this problem.

No it's a 2D drawing only.

BTW I rotate over to another drawing which I created and I don't have this problem. There is a variable set that's unique to this drawing.

No it's a 2D drawing only.

BTW I rotate over to another drawing which I created and I don't have this problem. There is a variable set that's unique to this drawing.

Have you thought to ask the drawing creator what his variables are?

Here is the file.

Unfortunately the creator of the drawing is clueless to variables. It's one of those things that someone either set or defaulted to and they are not even aware of it. But hey, I don't know what it is either...

dim_problem.dwg

Just try to dimension something in the model space and you'll see that nothing happens no matter where you place the mouse. The autoselect like INT, MID, END etc... is not working in this file.

The PICKFIRST variable is set to 1.

So let me be sure I follow you. You chose linear dimension and when you parked your mouse over the intersection of two lines or near the midpoint of a line, the apperture box appeared and gave you the autoselect feature was active?

Because mine does not work that way. When I move my mouse over the lines, the apperture only appears as a pointer, it does not give me the chance to select anything unless I actually type END or MID...

So let me be sure I follow you. You chose linear dimension and when you parked your mouse over the intersection of two lines or near the midpoint of a line, the apperture box appeared and gave you the autoselect feature was active?

Because mine does not work that way. When I move my mouse over the lines, the apperture only appears as a pointer, it does not give me the chance to select anything unless I actually type END or MID...

Bill, That is correct. AutoCAD automatically snapped to the midpoint and the end of each line segment when I was using the Linear Dimension.

Like I said before, I also have my pickfirst as

Command: pickfirst

Enter new value for PICKFIRST :

Command: *Cancel*

That's very strange because my copy of the file will not allow this. If I work on another file, no problem, but this particular file is an issue.

Bill, why don't you tell me what you want dimensioned and I will give the drawing with requested measurments.

As long as you are ok with that.

I don't know what happened but my AutoCAD 2010 started acting wierd with the selection process. I should have rebooted the machine earlier but with the Vista OS I was not thinking that would resolve it.

Anyway, I shut everything down and cold booted the computer. Now the problem has resolved itself.