Road Design On A Fill Question

Larry Ratliff II

I have a fill that is 2:1 and have benches every 50 feet. I am trying to design a road up the face of the fill with 75 ft radius curves and have it tie back in while leaving the benches. I've tried to use .tin files and merge the road back in without using cut/fill on my road design template, and i end up with the road just dropping into the fill with a vertical cut. does anyone have any suggestions? thanks

Here is a pic of a road/fill designed by hand. Would love to be able to do this with autoCad/survcad. Magenta lines are the proposed 2:1 fill slope/the dark blue lines are 20' flat terraces; the road slope is on average roughly 10%. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Valley fill.pdf

Now can we see what the problem looks like? This pdf shows what you want to do, but doesn't clarify the problem you're having. It would be helpful to see your road design template (which I assume is your civil 3d assembly?) and a screen grab of how it is misbehaving.

I have attached a couple of drawings of some methods that I tried using road design before i gave up and started doing the fills by hand. If you use 3d orbit you will see most of the problems that I am having. I am not entirely sure it is even possible to design what i am looking for using the road design tool, but any advice or help is always appreciated.

Fill Design Option 1.dwg

Fill Design Option 2.dwg

You still need batter slopes from your new road extending to the fill batters.

I assume you have made a new model combining existing with the fill slopes and use this for your road design then it should work.

You still need batter slopes from your new road extending to the fill batters.

I assume you have made a new model combining existing with the fill slopes and use this for your road design then it should work.

Please explain? I don't understand what you are asking for.

You start with your survey data model.

You would then create the benched surface and add it to the survey model ie you now have 3 models. Survey, batters and combined.

Use "combined" when designing your road as the defualt surface. I am pretty sure you can not create a road across two surfaces at the one time. its easy to add surfaces together just select surfaces edit and you can paste them into a new one.

Regarding "not sure possible" I can not see any problems if you create the "combined" model. this is pretty typical of a large site development you often end up with the last model being a combination of multiple designs eg multi roads connecting to each other.