Changing South referencing bearings

I have a few hundred bearings (if not a thousand) and some of them are south referencing rather than north referencing. They are just regular text and mtext.

Is there a way to do a find and replace or something similar to change bearings from south referencing to north referencing while still retaining the bearing value?

To clarify, they are in the format S(degrees, minutes, seconds)E and should be N(degrees, minutes, seconds)W etc.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

As they are text you could do this with a lisp/vba, you would need to pull apart each text string and add/subtract 180 to the degrees part but not change the minutes and seconds.

There is lots of find text and change stuff here on the forum, the only thing you need is a search string function so it finds the degree symbol and splits the text into degs and mins+secs then join new degs plus mins+secs update, all done.

I am positive seen this in some of the Lee Mac lisps, hope this helps

I am not sure that you need a lisp. How about FIND?

If you can isolate all the bearings, all you need to do is find S and replace it with N, and find E and replace it with W. The angle figures stay exactly the same. Remember to unclick the option to search for whole words.

I don't know whether that works with mtext. You will have to try it. :)