overlaying 2 drawings

steve 'o'

Hi,

Im a CAD newb and have got 2 drawings that are in model space that i need to overlay to compare. Both of them are from an architect (i work for a main contractor) and we have moved a building to suit construction sequencing.

Any help would be much aprieciated.

Steve

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steve 'o'

• CADMASTER1128

• Lee Mac

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I understand the concept of layers and can use them, These are 2 seperate drawings/files can i load the layers from one into the other?

Thanks for response.

Yes, all you need to do is copy the drawing into the other, this will incorporate the layers on both drawings.

Something else you can try is making both drawing a block. Then you can put a block on top so you are able to compare.

What kind of comparing are you wanting to do?

Side by side?

OR

on top of one another?

ontop of each other, Being a newb! Could you tell me how to copy one set of layers, or create/do the block way.

Thanks

Copying Layer(s) into a new drawing:

To copy a set of layers in a current drawing (DRAWING A) into another drawing (DRAWING B), Select the parts (layers) of the drawing you wish in "import" or copy. Right Click, copy and then paste DRAWING A into DRAWING B. By coping and pasting, this will bring the layers and there properties in to the drawing (DRAWING B) you pasted them in.

Creating a block:

As seen in the command line:

Command: b

BLOCK

Select objects: Specify opposite corner: 3 found

Select objects:

Command: *Cancel*

Type B in the command line.

Call the block what you want.

Click, Select Objects.

Then OK

Now you have created a block.

(For extra help see images attached).

bmake.JPG

bmakename.JPG

Godknows whats happening i cant seem to get it to work!! :( Work over for the day i will try again on Monday, Thanks for help!

Select objects: Specify opposite corner: 3 found = I assume i can just highlight the area i want? I have done this but it does not paste, I assume i need to paste witth a specific point on both so they overlay in correct place?

Hi' date='

Im a CAD newb and have got 2 drawings that are in model space that i need to overlay to compare. Both of them are from an architect (i work for a main contractor) and we have moved a building to suit construction sequencing.

Steve[/quote']

I would use the xref command, open one of the two drawings, maybe change all the layer colors to gray, then xref in the other file to do the comparison. You could change all those layers to red, etc. You get the idea.

Obviously if they didn't use the same reference point (like 0,0) you will have to line up a common column grid intersection or the equivalent.

I would use the xref command, open one of the two drawings, maybe change all the layer colors to gray, then xref in the other file to do the comparison. You could change all those layers to red, etc. You get the idea.

Obviously if they didn't use the same reference point (like 0,0) you will have to line up a common column grid intersection or the equivalent.

Me TOO!!!!

can you copy then just paste it as a block?

You make a good point. When you right click, you need to hit paste as block.

Thanks for bringing that up.

I agree with rkent, but I would open a new blank drawing and then xref both drawings into the new drawing. As long as nobody moved anything in either drawing, they should both drop in right on top of each other. Then you can change the colors of the xrefs in the layer manager without disturbing the actual drawings. This is a pretty fast and simple way to overlay two identical drawings for comparison.

Hi' date='

Steve[/quote']

Why not just use XREF.

thanks for all the advice, i have just noted that when i try and select any lines for copy or to create a block that a little paddlock shows next to the curser. Is this some sort of security which is preventing me from being able to cut/copy/paste/etc??

I dont no how to use the xref way but have tried and failed i asume due to the above aswell?!

Thanks all for advice

That padlock indicates that the objects are on a locked layer.

Go to the layer manager and unlock the layers before trying to perform any operations on the objects in question :)

That padlock indicates that the objects are on a locked layer.

Go to the layer manager and unlock the layers before trying to perform any operations on the objects in question :)

Ahh thanks for that! like i said newb :D

I have copied and pasted one into other but cannot see it in other drawing!

I would approach this in the way suggested by the others above.

• Open a new drawing and type xattach.

• Look for one of your other drawings, attach it

• Repeat the above for the other drawing in question.

Hope this helps,

Lee

I would approach this in the way suggested by the others above.

• Open a new drawing and type xattach.

• Look for one of your other drawings, attach it

• Repeat the above for the other drawing in question.

Hope this helps,

Lee

I have carried that out but keep getting this message ''' ** Undefined block #-1 ''' And can not see anyhing on the screen?

Does insertion point and scale stay at defualt?

Thanks for help!