Is there any way to install Express Tools in Vista 64?

tonebone

I just got a new computer and it had Vista 64 (I went with 64 because I have 6 gigs of RAM) and when I try to install Express Tools, it gives me an error that this program cannot be installed onto a 64 bit operating system. I know that Express Tools has a 16bit installer, and I guess thats what is causing the problem.

Does anyone have a suggestion about how I can get Express Tools to work? I really rely a lot on the tools that provides.

Thank you,

Tony

*Vista 64

*LDD 3

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• dogbytecomputers

• alanjt

• tonebone

How are you installing it? What version of AutoCAD are you running?

I'm installing it from the original EXE that came with my Land Desktop V3. The exact error message is:

"Unsupported 16-bit Application

The program or feature

"\??\C:\USERS\TONY\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\~EXB0005\SETUP.EXE cannot start or run due to the incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available."

Then another box pops up and it says:

"WinExec failed: return=216"

Whatcha Think?

copy the express tools folder to the hDD, menuload the express.mnu and appload the lsp files, etc. you might need to add the file location to your support paths.

i had to this when i switched from 14 to 2002 (didn't come express tools), so i just figured out how to load the bonus tools from 14.

But Autocad 14 and 2002 are both 32 bit applications, which I assume you were running on a 32 bit system? The OP is trying to install a 32 bit application on a 64 bit system.

I would do as the message suggests and contact Autodesk.

But Autocad 14 and 2002 are both 32 bit applications, which I assume you were running on a 32 bit system? The OP is trying to install a 32 bit application on a 64 bit system.

I would do as the message suggests and contact Autodesk.

right, but this just bypasses the actual installation procedure (what the .exe is doing).

• 9 months later...

Was this ever solved? I am having the same problem.

I am running Windows 7 Professional x64 with AutoCAD 2002.

When I try to load express tools I get an error WinExec failed: return=216.

Please HELP!

Did you attempt the method suggested earlier in this thread (post #4) by alanjt?

Keep in mind you already have installed a 32-bit application (AC 2002) in a 64-bit environment so what you are now attempting to do should be feasible. Just have to puzzle out the methodology.

Now you have discovered one of the drawbacks to keeping older programs running on newer equipment using the latest OS. It isn't always easy. But you wanted a challenge right?

I don't understand what he is saying. I am new to all of this stuff.

New to computers or new to AutoCAD or both?

Basically he's saying copy the Express Menu folder to your hard drive.

Start AutoCAD and use the Menuload command to load the Express menu and Appload command to load the individual Lisp routines associated with the commands.

Stop the presses.

Maybe the tools are there and you just don't see them. Try this.

Type the command expressmenu at the command line then press the Enter key to load Express Tools.

Caveat: AutoCAD 2002 is not supported on the Vista OS.

I guess you'll be earning your money today won't you?

When you get the problem solved we want our cut.:lol:

You can make a donation to CADTutor.:)

At this rate I wont be making any money! haha

I will try the things you have listed here and get back to you. I am still not sure that I understand it all, but once I get into the interface I hope it will click.

Tell your client there's a price to be paid for running older software on a newer computer. In this case the price can be referred to as a "nuisance fee". Add in another 5% for our efforts too. Thanks.

I tried typing expressmenu and expresstools in the command. Comes back saying that expresstools isn't loaded. Tried pulling the expresstools folder from another computer and having it load. didn't work. Any other ideas? All he really wants is a few of the features that come with it. Such as the hide layers button. Any way to just get that and skip all of this crap?

I guess as long as we are talking about standalone lisp routines it could be done. Heck, the client could probably create a custom drop-down menu and list the commands there for use or include them in his acaddoc.lsp file.