autocad .DWT file or template file

myfastls1

I currently work in KLT/atlas mapping software. I do most of my edit work in Atlas and then translate it into autocad. All of the scale, and geo coordinates are based in atlas and translate over to autocad smoothly. A new client has a specific library/layering convention , and has also provided a .dwt file for me to use. I have not used this before. If the data is already created in Atlas, will i even need to bother with this .DWT file as long as the naming is correct? Thanks, Mike

I currently work in KLT/atlas mapping software. I do most of my edit work in Atlas and then translate it into autocad. All of the scale, and geo coordinates are based in atlas and translate over to autocad smoothly. A new client has a specific library/layering convention , and has also provided a .dwt file for me to use. I have not used this before. If the data is already created in Atlas, will i even need to bother with this .DWT file as long as the naming is correct? Thanks, Mike

the dwt will give you all the proper settings, dimstyles, textstyles, layers, linetypes, etc. that the client wants.

How can i view this file prior to completion of the work, to assist me in correctly writing the translator? For example what i have as fence linetype in atlas is under 440, so i would then view this linetype in atlas translator, and assign the proper charecteristics to translate out? The cleint has provided a sample dwg file, but i what i need to do is view the dwt file to see exactly what they want for each layer. thank you by the way!!!

You can open a .dwt just as a .dwg.

From the Open dialog box

as a hint... you may want to look into using the Laytrans command, to transfer your layers to the client's

j1.JPG

ill give that a try, im used to perhaps a word document with client requirements, i then just have that up on one screen ,and input that data in the appropriate locations. thanks

I still cannot view the content of the DWT file in order to see what to assign to the layers

i will need to be able to view this data in order to properly define my translator

I open it up as instructed,but dont see any contents once i zoom extents.

I have succesfuly located the file in order to open it, like i said in the previous post, once open,it appears there is nothing on it. Is there another location or command within Autocad that i would have to go to before i can proceed?

I need to be able to see the contents of the DWT so that i can see for example line wieght,color etc, so i can revert back to atlas and assign the proper details

i like the layertrans option, assuming i could open the .dwt i could then pick my layer, then the correct autocad layer and translate,pretty slick for smaller jobs!

I have succesfuly located the file in order to open it, like i said in the previous post, once open,it appears there is nothing on it. Is there another location or command within Autocad that i would have to go to before i can proceed?

I need to be able to see the contents of the DWT so that i can see for example line wieght,color etc, so i can revert back to atlas and assign the proper details

i like the layertrans option, assuming i could open the .dwt i could then pick my layer, then the correct autocad layer and translate,pretty slick for smaller jobs!

the purpose of the template file is to start your drawing using this for the template, when you type new (or however you do it), it will prompt you to select a .dwt file, you choose the one proved by the client. your drawing will then begin with ALL the required layers, etc. you need.

hopefully they gave you descriptions in the layernames (view by opening the layer manager).

Open the Layer Manager in the .dwt and see if you can decipher what entity types go on which layer, if you can't figure it out give a call to the client and ask what he wants.