Xrefs

MisterJingles

Hi guys

Can someone tell me the difference between loading and binding xrefs?

Also the difference between unloading and detaching them? What do each of these do and when would I use them instead of the other?

Also, I have an xref which I loaded and have been working on but now it doesnt seem to want to unload. Therefore I cannot load the new design for me to work on.

Any idea why?

The xref is on a layer and even when this layer is turned off it still shows.

Ive tried closing and reopening the drawing but it hasnt helped.

Thanks

Rob

Loading - means attaching a 'live' copy of another .dwg file

Binding - means 'inserting' a copy of another .dwg file, and removing the 'live' status.

Unloading - means still having the 'live' link to another .dwg file, but it not being viewable/printable

Detaching - means completely removing any link to the other .dwg file.

With regards to your other issue - is the xref in question being xref'd into another file ?

Hi guys

The xref is on a layer and even when this layer is turned off it still shows.

Rob

you need to frezze that layer to make it unvisible.

for the pthe rproblem of loading new design, if the file has same names u need to detach the first(old) file or need to rename it in xref manager

Loading - means attaching a 'live' copy of another .dwg file

Binding - means 'inserting' a copy of another .dwg file, and removing the 'live' status.

Unloading - means still having the 'live' link to another .dwg file, but it not being viewable/printable

Detaching - means completely removing any link to the other .dwg file.

With regards to your other issue - is the xref in question being xref'd into another file ?

That is what I was informed too. But, is Autodesk still using the term that an XREF is a temporary drawing? I know a couple of the CheapCad softwares do not recognize XREFs and will instead initiate a BIND before allowing editing.

Wm.

Ok Im embarrassed to say so but on this particular drawing I simply added the new design as a block. Sorry for the waste of time guys.

Back to xreffing though, Am I right in saying that if you bind an xref to a drawing you can now take that drawing and work on it on another PC (at home for example) and the xreffed drawing will be visible? Whereas if it were not bound it would not be attached to the drawing? Obviously the file size would just me much bigger.

Regards

Rob

Back to xreffing though, Am I right in saying that if you bind an xref to a drawing you can now take that drawing and work on it on another PC (at home for example) and the xreffed drawing will be visible? Whereas if it were not bound it would not be attached to the drawing? Obviously the file size would just me much bigger.

Regards

Rob

yes, if you Bind an x-ref, the x-ref becomes a block in your drawing and you can pick up and move the drawing without any issues - except that yes, the filesize increases with this move.

If it where not bound, and you moved the drawing, the x-ref would show up as Unreferences in your x-ref list.

A nifty command is E-transmit that saves your drawing, plus all associated drawings/files (x-refs, line styles, textstyle, plotstyles) into one handy-dandy zipfile.

See below for what help says. What you notice most is the layers - BIND creates xref-specific layers, while INSERT combines the layers of the xref and the layers in the drawing, not leaving any xref-specific layers.

Bind Binds the selected DWG reference to the current drawing.

Xref-dependent named objects are changed from blockname|definitionname to blockname$n$definitionname syntax. In this manner, unique named objects are created for all xref-dependent definition tables bound to the current drawing.

For example, if you have an xref named FLOOR1 containing a layer named WALL, after binding the xref, the xref-dependent layer FLOOR1|WALL becomes a locally defined layer named FLOOR1$0$WALL. The number in $n$ is automatically incremented if a local named object with the same name already exists. In this example, if FLOOR1$0$WALL already existed in the drawing, the xref-dependent layer FLOOR1|WALL would be renamed FLOOR1$1$WALL.

Insert Binds the DWG reference to the current drawing in a way similar to detaching and inserting the reference drawing. Rather than being renamed using blockname$n$definitionname syntax, xref-dependent named objects are stripped of the xref name. As with inserting drawings, no name-incrementing occurs if a local named object shares the same name as a bound xref-dependent named object. The bound xref-dependent named object assumes the properties of the locally defined named object.

For example, if you have an xref named FLOOR1 containing a layer named WALL, after binding with the Insert option, the xref-dependent layer FLOOR1|WALL becomes the locally defined layer WALL.