Php?

jonesy

I am a proud co-owner of a photographic records based website (designed by me and programmed in PHP by a talented young man)

I have now decided to "bite the bullet" and try to learn how to "PHP" so I can do some of the smaller tasks myself...

With this in mind, can anyone recommend any very basic resources/websites/tutorials etc to get me started. I also need to look at how PHP interacts with mySQL so tutorials/information on those would be much appreciated too.

Many thanks in advance

Tracey

I taught myself PHP using Larry Ullman's "PHP for the World Wide Web" and then went on to his "PHP and MySQL for the World Wide Web". I found them both easy to read and very clear. If you already know a little you could probably skip to the second book. I also like PHP Solutions by David Powers. As a quick reference, I use Teach Yourself PHP. Online there is the excellent W3Schools PHP reference, which is much better than the official PHP reference, which seems to have been written for robots.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi.. Just use php to fetch a data from mysql.. this is a basic tags <?php echo "welcome"; ?> <?php this is start php and end with ?> this.. echo is used to print a data.. php and mysql are good concept to know more visit here: http://www.w3schools.com/

regards..

Edited by Tiger
removed ad

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is a few years old originally now although this is what I found when I learnt PHP over h previous years:

I learnt PHP using the Tizag tutorial website. http://www.tizag.com/phpT/

That is a great site that conveys the basics simply without getting bogged down in too much detail initially. I also learnt SQL and CSS from that site (they have a whole range of tutorial series, all free).

The php.net site is simply too technical for me most of the time an not a good resource for me.

Another great place of help is the phpfreaks forum, probably the largest php forum on the internet (which is extremely active and your questions are answered within minutes normally).

Use a good editing program with syntax highlighting, indenting and which points out to you when you have a syntax error or unbalanced brackets etc. You hear of people being 'hardcore' and programming in notepad etc, that is just ridiculous in my opinion (although possible it is unrealistic). I use Dreamweaver which is excellent.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks for this great info .. I am happy by hearing from you that you learn php by yourself.. PHP is very amazing language and by now whole world demands php webs as you know ..

Edited by jack002