Question about Wall professionalism

CadDan

In AutoCAD 2007 I have drawn an entire floor plan. For some reason I can't seem to get the walls to a solid, thick, black line to look "professional" like in many pro. floor plans.

It would help me greatly to know how to do this as I plan to hand it over to an actual person and say "build this". (not exactly in those words, but you get the gist of it.)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CADMASTER1128

• CadDan

• ReMark

• lpseifert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know if there is a specific command in Architecture to do what you want, but have you tried a polyline with a width... or a solid hatch?

To do those Kind of plans I use Punch! software. I like to think of it as "boom boom" CAD. More used a 3D render program to show off a floor plan to clients.

You can also use the technique poche (French) for adding "punch" to a drawing. We used to do this for architectural drawings done on the drafting board which was very time consuming.

The walls should be on their own layer. You can assign a lineweight to the layer via the Layer Properties Manager.

But how big would the weight have to be?

In AutoCAD 2007 I have drawn an entire floor plan. For some reason I can't seem to get the walls to a solid, thick, black line to look "professional" like in many pro. floor plans.

It would help me greatly to know how to do this as I plan to hand it over to an actual person and say "build this". (not exactly in those words, but you get the gist of it.)

If you are using Autocad Architecture walls, you can assign a solid hatch to the wall style and set it to display, then turn it off again when it is no longer needed. If they are just two lines representing a wall, then just hatch them in solid or use say dots at a scale of 8 to give a light shading.

The walls should be on their own layer. You can assign a lineweight to the layer via the Layer Properties Manager.

So if I apply the lineweight from the layer manager, it should come out as the thick line? I have been just doing a double wall (two lines spaced 6" apart on a 1/4" = 1' 0" scale)

So if I apply the lineweight from the layer manager, it should come out as the thick line? I have been just doing a double wall (two lines spaced 6" apart on a 1/4" = 1' 0" scale)

Thats correct, but you need yo make sure everything prints monochrome. If it prints color then it will look funny.

Everything I have is printed monochrome. I just need to figure out how to have the electrical a lighter color then the walls.

Why do you have to change the wiring color?

Just everything that involves electrical has to be lighter than the actual floor plan. I don't think it's necessary but the professor wants it like that.

Just everything that involves electrical has to be lighter than the actual floor plan. I don't think it's necessary but the professor wants it like that.

Always listen to the teacher!

Your electrical is on a separate layer, right? You can assign it a thinner line weight in Layer Properties Manager so it does not compete visually with other elements of your drawing.

Example: 7mm for walls and 2mm for electrical. I use mm settings because I came to CAD via manual drafting. Mechanical pencils came in 3mm, 5mm, 7mm and 9mm sizes.

Listening to the teacher results in good grades. So of course I'm going to do it. lol.

Or as in my situation the teacher (and family) starts to hate and talk about you behind your back.