Setting up multiple machines

yrnomad

The company I work for is upgrading 4 workstations. So I'm going to have to set up Acad 2010 on each machine to access a common set of folders on our network to get blocks and routines.

The first didn't go as smoothly as I thought it should, so I'd like your input on transferring the cad setup to the new machine.

Two of the four have not used the palette menu I set up for our blocks. This is the area I am struggling with transferring.

I'd like to set up a standard profile which would have the User Profile from Options, the startup suite, and the Palette menu, but as far as transferring the pallet, it seems like I export them one at a time and then re-import them one at a time.

Is there a better way?

The company I work for is upgrading 4 workstations. So I'm going to have to set up Acad 2010 on each machine to access a common set of folders on our network to get blocks and routines.

The first didn't go as smoothly as I thought it should, so I'd like your input on transferring the cad setup to the new machine.

Two of the four have not used the palette menu I set up for our blocks. This is the area I am struggling with transferring.

I'd like to set up a standard profile which would have the User Profile from Options, the startup suite, and the Palette menu, but as far as transferring the pallet, it seems like I export them one at a time and then re-import them one at a time.

Is there a better way?

Yes, as for Tool Palettes, go to this thread: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33389&highlight=Tool+Palettes

As for LISP routines, add a path in the Support File Search Path directory and create a file called ACADDOC.LSP and in there, put all your LISP routines. This way every machine that's networked to this folder will have access to all the Lisp routines each drawing that's opened. Easy stuff. :)

RE: ACADDOC.lsp

Are you saying to do a line in the doc that says (load "y:/lisp/conduit.lsp)

or add the text of the lisp to the acaddoc?

RE: "Tool Palettes File Locations"

bingo! So now when I do an update to a pallet on my machine, I can export it back to the network path and everyone will be affected, the next time they restart CAD... right?

Thanks

RE: ACADDOC.lsp

Are you saying to do a line in the doc that says (load "y:/lisp/conduit.lsp)

or add the text of the lisp to the acaddoc?

RE: "Tool Palettes File Locations"

bingo! So now when I do an update to a pallet on my machine, I can export it back to the network path and everyone will be affected, the next time they restart CAD... right?

Thanks

Acaddoc.lsp: Yes, you are correct. I can post mine up here to give you an idea if you want.

Tool Palettes: Okay, yes when you do an update it will automatically update across all computers. But this is where you want to be VERY careful. You need to get with your IT Admin, and the "Tool Palette" directory needs to be read only, except for you. The thing about Tool Palettes is this: The last station to close AutoCAD writes the Tool Palettes upon closing. Changes are only made after a restart. So, if you make a change, and close AutoCAD, then someone else had AutoCAD open and closed after you, the changes you made would revert back to the other machine.

So, you (being the CAD Manager I assume) are they ONLY one who needs administrative rights to have write access to the Tool Palette directory. Everyone else needs to be Read Only. Soon as that's done, THEN start changing all 3 other machines' Tool Palette path in the Files tab under Options, and you're all good. :)

Hmmm I'm getting a "too many arguments" comment on the new machine at startup, and the lisp files don't work.

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: ACAD

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: CUSTOM

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: IMPRESSION

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: AUTODESKSEEK

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: EXPRESS

Regenerating model.

AutoCAD menu utilities loaded.; error: too many arguments

Command: COMMANDLINE

Command: TOOLPALETTES

Command: properties

I've tried turning my slashes around... what am I missing.

Thanks for the help...

acaddoc.lsp

Turn your slashes back around, but you need to use double slashes for AutoCAD to recognize it. So, C:\ACAD\Lisp would read C:\\ACAD\\Lisp

Here is what mine looks like for my LISP Files:

;;; acaddoc.lsp

(load "K:\\Project Manager Department\\1-AutoCad\\Lisp\\arc_dim.lsp")
(load "K:\\Project Manager Department\\1-AutoCad\\Lisp\\fixblock.lsp")
(load "K:\\Project Manager Department\\1-AutoCad\\Lisp\\layer_thaw_on.lsp")
(load "K:\\Project Manager Department\\1-AutoCad\\Lisp\\MR & CR.lsp")
(load "K:\\Project Manager Department\\1-AutoCad\\Lisp\\pline_radius.lsp")
(load "K:\\Project Manager Department\\1-AutoCad\\Lisp\\PS_Text_Add.lsp")
(load "K:\\Project Manager Department\\1-AutoCad\\Lisp\\PS_Text_Del.lsp")
(load "K:\\Project Manager Department\\1-AutoCad\\Lisp\\TxtInc v2.5.lsp")
(load "K:\\Project Manager Department\\1-AutoCad\\Lisp\\VMI-190.lsp")
(load "K:\\Project Manager Department\\1-AutoCad\\Lisp\\VMI-CHPROP-01.lsp")
(load "K:\\Project Manager Department\\1-AutoCad\\Lisp\\VMI-COLOR.lsp")
(load "K:\\Project Manager Department\\1-AutoCad\\Lisp\\VMI-TSTAT2.lsp")
(load "K:\\Project Manager Department\\1-AutoCad\\Lisp\\VMI-VIEWPORT.lsp")
(load "K:\\Project Manager Department\\1-AutoCad\\Lisp\\WPIPE.lsp")
(load "K:\\Project Manager Department\\1-AutoCad\\Lisp\\VMI-PURGE-ALL.lsp")
(load "K:\\Project Manager Department\\1-AutoCad\\Lisp\\VMI-SETBYLAYER")

;;; end acaddoc.lsp

Arg!

I still had the same problems so I wiped out the load section of my acaddoc.lsp and had still got the "too many arguments" statement.

So I erased everything and added it back in line by line. The error I was asking about comes from the viewres variable, so I commented it out.

I think everything but the viewres is working now.

BTW: isn't the \\ the same as / in lisp?

• 3 months later...

Ok Tannar,

Thanks for the help so far, but... I've got one more issue that you might have a grip of.

I've set up a network location for Plotters (Printer Configuration Search Path) and Plot Styles (Plot Style Table Search Path). But what I'm finding is the list is overwhelming to a couple of the folks since in the Plot Style case it contains all our clients ctb files that I use to put prints out to my field guys. So what has been proposed is a folder with the main 4 or 5 used for two of us, then the rest available for the other two of us.

Any ideas on how to set this up, or should I just create two separate locations to be viewed?

Ok Tannar,

Thanks for the help so far, but... I've got one more issue that you might have a grip of.

I've set up a network location for Plotters (Printer Configuration Search Path) and Plot Styles (Plot Style Table Search Path). But what I'm finding is the list is overwhelming to a couple of the folks since in the Plot Style case it contains all our clients ctb files that I use to put prints out to my field guys. So what has been proposed is a folder with the main 4 or 5 used for two of us, then the rest available for the other two of us.

Any ideas on how to set this up, or should I just create two separate locations to be viewed?

hmmm.... I would probably copy my current Profile and have the Plot Style path located to the "other" directory with ALL the CTB files. To me it would make more sense to switch profiles real quick, plot, and switch back without missing a lick. This way you're not having to sort through a huge amount of plot styles. That's just first guess.... there are many more smarter guys on here than me who probably have a better solution. :)