• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• CADMASTER1128

• CadDan

• whitehaint

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually I expected at least two more. I guess Microsoft has finally decided not to be all things to all people.

I am surprised that Windows 7 has a taskbar... Shouldn't they put a ribbon instead? :P

So then why have the Beta Expire so late in the year?

Unless windows wants to give users a chance to gather data and revert back to the pervious OS, or allow users to purchase Windows 7.

The reason for that is so they can gather information about it while having the full version out. That way if there is any bugs that needed to be fixed, it would be released in SP1 of Windows 7.

I am surprised that Windows 7 has a taskbar... Shouldn't they put a ribbon instead? :P

It's not really a taskbar as much as it is an icon dock.

An Intel P4 I see. That 1GB RAM is pretty weak (no offense). Could probably get better performance by adding some more. What's the max the mobo will accept? What max memory speed is supported?

It will accept a 3.0 GHz HT P4

up to 4 gb of DDR400

and I have already switched to SATA has it had the option.

I'm not going to put any more into this machine has it has AGP graphics and PCIe.

I can buy 2 gb or DDR2 for what 512 of DDR will cost. Not worth it.

Why, really why switch? I have an OSX box at home and I really don't see any reason to switch. Now if their is some Mac only app then i can see this but those are few and far between except for the Apple applications. XP has been a real stable OS for me. Sure Vista has had some issues but don't think that Apple did not have these and more when they moved from OS9 to X. Yeah I think 12 was the last supported Mac version as well as Unix version (I used 12 on a Spac20 at college :geek: )

Like I said before to use a mac you have 2 options;

1. An all-in-one unit that has limited up-grad ability

2. Or a pro tower that costs and arm and a leg

Not to say that OSX is not nice, it is but just meh to me ;)

This is just my guess but the thier new OS Snow Leoperd coming out (which allows thrids Party API's). Autodesk may consider moving AutoCAD (2011) to the new platform. Yes it will cause extra work for Autodesk, but in the long run, they may have more, and even happier users. The only reason I stay on window is because of the fact that use CAD and CAD isn't supported on MAC OS X. I sure wish is was like R12 (i think was supported an MAC).

I too have read that Win7 is really Vista in disguise. I think I also read that they have toned down the security management features and increased the number of supported devices but really isn't much better than Vista speed-wise. I think a lot will depend on the hardware. A newer computer with a freshly loaded Win7 will run much better than an older computer running an upgrade version. We'll see.

I have two computers loaded with W7 in work. One is a Athlon 2000 Mhz CPU and Half a gig of ram. Another is a Athlon 3000 Mhz CPU with a gig of ram.

both boot up in about the same time but once running the OS is fairly quick. No drivers loaded and many things work like playing a DVD or MP3. And they run well with little slowdown. I loaded office 07 on the slower machine and it runs fine, loading up fairly quick and all seems stable.

I could not get Vista loaded onto the slower one and vista was far slower on the other one.

Both computers were for the bin, but think I will keep the fater one with the win7 for a bit.

• 2 months later...

Well in an effort to avoid starting a new thread i'll just write here

Having difficulty with Autocad 2008 on work ever since the IT installed Vista. The machines don't have a dual core, but they have all the required specs that Autocad 2008 requires, 2GB of ram, a solid graphic card - different from one computer to another...

the first time i gave lectures we did a helix, sweept a circle on it, whilst in shade mode, and it took a good 8 minutes to get it done... It has certainly stabilized, but we're moving onto 2010 this spring - doing mesh smooth, or operating in it seems like a sci fi difficulty to me.

I've done a benchmark of the computers running autocad 2008 and compared it to my crappy laptop - 4GB ram proc similar, graphic card better than my laptop - benchmark results almost the same - just because Vista and i run XP

any recomendations first hand about running autocad 2010 smoothly, from 2d, advanced 2d and 3d - since i reckon this will be torture if nothing get's upgraded

I think you are going to need a new computer if and when you make the jump to 2010. I've read a number of posts, once again, about performance issues (i.e. - slow).

I would say you'd be looking at a new motherboard. Then you'll have to add a new CPU with fan. While you're at it upgrade the memory (more RAM and make it the fastest speed). Right. Well you might as well get a new (better) graphics card too. What's left? A new mobo and graphics card may require a new power supply. That leaves the CD-ROM, DVD, floppy (still got one?), a few cables and the hard drive. Jeez, might as well buy a new rig and donate the old one to a church, a school or a non-profit and take the tax write-off. You'll be better off in the long run.

I would say you'd be looking at a new motherboard. Then you'll have to add a new CPU with fan. While you're at it upgrade the memory (more RAM and make it the fastest speed). Right. Well you might as well get a new (better) graphics card too. What's left? A new mobo and graphics card may require a new power supply. That leaves the CD-ROM, DVD, floppy (still got one?), a few cables and the hard drive. Jeez, might as well buy a new rig and donate the old one to a church, a school or a non-profit and take the tax write-off. You'll be better off in the long run.

I agree, at some point you just can't upgrade any more.

hey guys,

I am using autocad 2008 and i'm going to upgrade my pc since it can't work good fo heavy 3d architectural renderings...so guys out there can you suggest or recommend some good stuff for a best pc specs..THANks a lot

You're upgrading the computer that is listed under your name?

First off, I see no mention of a graphics card. Why? Does it have a GPU instead? If so, you definitely need to add a good quality, dedicated, graphics card.

Second, 1GB of RAM is weak. With XP you should try to max out your RAM (if the motherboard can handle it) at 4GB and then edit your boot.ini file by adding the 3GB switch.

Third, I think you need to install a bigger hard drive (120 to 150GB). I say this because I assume this is your personal computer and you do more than just run CAD on it. Do you do any gaming?

That's where I would start if upgrading. Weigh the cost of upgrading vs. buying a new computer too.

oh yes....

i'm sorry mark... what i really mean is to have anew cpu with the best performance that i can be use. Have a good graphics and much faster performance for 3d rendering either for max or cad.... can you give good specs for that?....thank you very much

• 3 weeks later...