read-only

apostel

Hi Guys,

Next problem!

Because i got sick of geeting drawings in all diffrent versions of autocad and then ended up to not get these open "drawing not valid"...

Did i decide to purchase autocad 2010.

Now i just recieved new drawings and I get this message

"150-1.dwg is currently in use or is read only.would you like to open the read only "

I click yes and no drawing visuable :(

The most strangest is that i keep my mouse on a map in the file refernces then a small window jumps open where i see very small the compleet drawing- but i can not open this...

Any advice how to proceed?!

Thank you in advance!

Read only? Are you working in a network? its either it is currently in use or the file itself is set to be "read only". right click the file then check its properties, see under attributes if the Read only check box is checked. if yes, uncheck then reopen it.

Because i got sick of geeting drawings in all diffrent versions of autocad and then ended up to not get these open "drawing not valid"...

Did i decide to purchase autocad 2010.

:o Wow, that was a drastic and unnecessary step. You could have just downloaded the free Autodesk DWG TrueView conversion software.

You might want to update your profile. It says you're still using 2004 LT.

Read only? Are you working in a network? its either it is currently in use or the file itself is set to be "read only". right click the file then check its properties, see under attributes if the Read only check box is checked. if yes, uncheck then reopen it.

Hi thank you for you prompt reply !

I have checked the attributes and the only thing thats check in ghost is archive.

No network i recieved the drawings by email.

:o Wow, that was a drastic and unnecessary step. You could have just downloaded the free Autodesk conversion software.

You might want to update your profile. It says you're still using 2004 LT.

Hi,

Sorry i will update my profil .

I have tried many times trueview but first this prog didnt want to run with 2004LT... and ongoing warnings...

Hmm to late to go back so lets see what we can do with 2010.

I have found that on occasion, depending upon the era and equipment the "Read-Only" message will appear, and once you get Microsoft Properties involved it says No problem. Well try as you may, there really is a problem.

The old way was to drop to DOS, find the file in the parent directory and remove the R attribute. Then you can go-go go.

Wm.

I have found that on occasion, depending upon the era and equipment the "Read-Only" message will appear, and once you get Microsoft Properties involved it says No problem. Well try as you may, there really is a problem.

The old way was to drop to DOS, find the file in the parent directory and remove the R attribute. Then you can go-go go.

Wm.

So in geek words that means :oops:

Can you post one of these drawings here for us to look at?

Hi Cad64,

This is at the moment not possible - because we work with NDA that prohibit us sharing these kind of info...

Im sorry...

apostel: Coosbay sometimes forgets there are only a handful of us on this forum, it seems, that remember the good old days of DOS (Disk Operating System).

Back then, if someone wanted to change the read only attribute from on (+r) to off (-r) they would go to the root drive (usually drive "C" and type...

attribute -r [drive][path][filename]

Example:

attribute -r C:/drawings/nda_1.dwg

That would be enough to remove the read-only attribute.

Just on one or two occasions, I have found that Microsoft Windows will lie to you. Which is why back in posting #6, I mentioned:

Sometimes you have to try a few different things and see what works for you then.

Wm.

The drawings may have been locked by an add on application, for an example see-

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39254

Have you tried using RECOVER instead of OPEN?

I once had troubles with the "Locked" biz a few years ago. To sucessfully UN-lock a drawing it had to be done via the very same terminal (one of six in that office). The others could see the project, and some could not, but of the remaining five, none could alter and keep a thing.

The Locking did not show up as a simple Micro-soft R file, so I do not know how it got connected in then.

But the Unlocking had to be done on that one particular terminal. The employee quit, and we had to keep his terminal active just to Unlock whatever he touched.

Wm.