Import Autocad polygon into Arcmap

montiff

Overview:

I am digitizing polygons for a road survey in ArcMap. I ran into problems trying to create polygons with arcs with ArcMap. So I decided to make the arcs in Autocad instead.

What I know:

1. I have the absolute X-Y coordinates.

2. I have some distance and direction in degress, minutes and seconds (xxDx'xx")

3. I know how to make an arc within Autocad.

4. I know how to import polygon features from Autocad into ArcCatolog then into Arcmap.

My problems:

1. I can not seem to place more than one absolute X-Y coordinates into Autocad.

2. After importing a test polygon into ArcMap I can not paste the arc onto my orginal polygon. I get the following error: "The features could not be copied because the target layer is the wrong geometry type."

Can anyone help with the Autocad or Arcmap portions of my questions?

You will need to convert the PolyLine from Autocad into a polygon feature before it can be merged into a polygon feature within arcmap. .

I'm not sure what you mean about the "more than one" coordinate system...?

Overview:

I am digitizing polygons for a road survey in ArcMap. I ran into problems trying to create polygons with arcs with ArcMap. So I decided to make the arcs in Autocad instead.

What I know:

1. I have the absolute X-Y coordinates.

2. I have some distance and direction in degress, minutes and seconds (xxDx'xx")

3. I know how to make an arc within Autocad.

4. I know how to import polygon features from Autocad into ArcCatolog then into Arcmap.

My problems:

1. I can not seem to place more than one absolute X-Y coordinates into Autocad.

2. After importing a test polygon into ArcMap I can not paste the arc onto my orginal polygon. I get the following error: "The features could not be copied because the target layer is the wrong geometry type."

Can anyone help with the Autocad or Arcmap portions of my questions?

Arcmap feature types are points, polylines, polygons, multipoints and multipatch. Arcmap layers can only have one feature type per layer. The layer your trying to paste to is the wrong feature type. For example: If your trying to paste a polygon into a layer whos feature type is points you will not be successful. This is a case where birds of a feather flock together is a strict rule that cannot be broken. So in the case of pasting an arc onto your original polygon the arc would be a polyline.

If you happen to have it do you use AutoCad Map3D? If you do have it, mind if I suggest you try it out? Doing edits in Map3D is far easier than in Arcmap. I do almost all of the edits to shape files in Map3D and utilize ArcMap as a tool to give me a finished product.

gismap.JPG

You will need to convert the PolyLine from Autocad into a polygon feature before it can be merged into a polygon feature within arcmap. .

I'm not sure what you mean about the "more than one" coordinate system...?

I mean after a "LINE" command and entering in my 5 absolute x-y coordinates lines are nowhere to be seen.

Here is what I have in ArcMap:

I want to get the 4 x-y plotted, so I can use my distance and degree's to get my start and end point of my arc.

gismap.JPG

The damn lines won't show in AutoCad though.

Arcmap feature types are points, polylines, polygons, multipoints and multipatch. Arcmap layers can only have one feature type per layer. The layer your trying to paste to is the wrong feature type. For example: If your trying to paste a polygon into a layer whos feature type is points you will not be successful. This is a case where birds of a feather flock together is a strict rule that cannot be broken. So in the case of pasting an arc onto your original polygon the arc would be a polyline.

Good eye. I forgot to mention that I have converted my test lines to a polygon in AutoCad by using the "bpoly" function before I import it.

If you happen to have it do you use AutoCad Map3D? If you do have it, mind if I suggest you try it out? Doing edits in Map3D is far easier than in Arcmap. I do almost all of the edits to shape files in Map3D and utilize ArcMap as a tool to give me a finished product.

No sir, unfortunately the company I work with only has ArcMap and AutoCad.

I can import the polygon from AutoCad fine, but when I "start edits/copy/stop edits" - "start edits-select polygon layer-paste" it gives me the error: "The features could not be copied because the target layer is the wrong geometry type."

I thought it might be a coordinate system discrepancy but I converted the AutoCad polygon to match ArcMap polygon in ArcCatalog before importing.

I am stumped.

gismap.JPG

GIS#5371017297595327842

I mean after a "LINE" command and entering in my 5 absolute x-y coordinates lines are nowhere to be seen.

Here is what I have in ArcMap:

I want to get the 4 x-y plotted, so I can use my distance and degree's to get my start and end point of my arc.

gismap.JPG

The damn lines won't show in AutoCad though.

So you have four points, each point having one set of xy coordinates if I follow you correctly.

What do your entries look like for each line end point? Please don't mistake my question to be an insult to your knowledge and skills. I find it easier to troubleshoot a problem knowing how someone goes about doing a particular thing.

gismap.JPG

If I could get this guy in AutoCad I'd be halfway done. :)

Here are the absolute X-Y coordinates in case it matters.

1. 3150380.25, 696827.68

2. 3150441.93, 696896.81

3. 3150473.59, 697050.17

4. 3150704.27, 696953.51

And the Distance/Direction

1. 93.11' N24D26'35"W

2. 50.73' S03d39'00"W

Good eye. I forgot to mention that I have converted my test lines to a polygon in AutoCad by using the "bpoly" function before I import it.

No sir, unfortunately the company I work with only has ArcMap and AutoCad.

I can import the polygon from AutoCad fine, but when I "start edits/copy/stop edits" - "start edits-select polygon layer-paste" it gives me the error: "The features could not be copied because the target layer is the wrong geometry type."

I thought it might be a coordinate system discrepancy but I converted the AutoCad polygon to match ArcMap polygon in ArcCatalog before importing.

I am stumped.

I am perplexed as well. As long as your feature types match then you shouldn't have a problem pasting to the layer you choose. I will ponder this more and post an answer should I think of one.

If I could get this guy in AutoCad I'd be halfway done. :)

Here are the absolute X-Y coordinates in case it matters.

1. 3150380.25, 696827.68

2. 3150441.93, 696896.81

3. 3150473.59, 697050.17

4. 3150704.27, 696953.51

And the Distance/Direction

1. 93.11' N24D26'35"W

2. 50.73' S03d39'00"W

So at the command line your entry for each end point for the line would look like this:

Command: Line

Specify first point: 3150380.25,696827.68

Specify next point or [undo]: 3150441.93,696896.81

...and it continues on as such until you end the command. Make sure there is no spaces between the x and y coordinate. Bearings and distances are not needed with absolute coordinate entries.

I am perplexed as well. As long as your feature types match then you shouldn't have a problem pasting to the layer you choose. I will ponder this more and post an answer should I think of one.

Thank you. Its good to know I'm not completely screwed. :)

So at the command line your entry for each end point for the line would look like this:

Command: Line

Specify first point: 3150380.25,696827.68

Specify next point or [undo]: 3150441.93,696896.81

...and it continues on as such until you end the command. Make sure there is no spaces between the x and y coordinate. Bearings and distances are not needed with absolute coordinate entries.

Here you go:

autocad.JPG

now once I'm at this point, my only options are to: "Close/Undo"

I would like to do neither. I want to: Stop. Find those Lines I've made(They seem to disappear when I search for them) and then add distance and direction to them.

Here you go:

autocad.JPG

now once I'm at this point, my only options are to: "Close/Undo"

I would like to do neither. I want to: Stop. Find those Lines I've made(They seem to disappear when I search for them) and then add distance and direction to them.

Then press the Enter key to end the Line command and do a zoom extents (if that is all thats in your drawing) to find the lines. The Close/Undo means your in a polyline command which by pressing Enter will also end the command without closing the polyline or undoing it.

Edit:

Sorry my mistake. Your in the line command not polyline command.

Then press the Enter key to end the Line command and do a zoom extents (if that is all thats in your drawing) to find the lines. The Close/Undo means your in a polyline command which by pressing Enter will also end the command without closing the polyline or undoing it.

Edit:

Sorry my mistake. Your in the line command not polyline command.

THANKYOU!

That has solved my disappearing polyline problem.

Now if anyone could help me pindown my error when I try to paste that soon-to-be polygon onto the ArcMap polygon...

OK here is what I now have:

1. I have created a polygon out of those x,y coordinates using the 'bpoly' command.

2. I have opened ArcCatalog, created a new geodatabase, and imported a new polygon feature class from the AutoCad file.

polygonpaste.jpg

3. I have applied the predifined x-y coordinate system of the polygon I wish to paste to: NAD_1927_StatePlane_Texas_South_Central_FIPS_4204 from

4. I drag my new feature class into ArcMap. And....

5. Success!

polygonpasteWIN!.JPG

Thanks to ScribbleJ. And everyone else who helped.