Wooden Decking

sandwich968

Hey, for my building surveying course i have a cad module where i have to design a house. Im trying to design mine around my own home which has wooden decking but i dont have a clue how to do this on autocad architecture 2009....

Thanks in advance

The best way to fully utilize AutoCAD Architecture 2009 would be to use the Style Manager and add in wooden member styles. Type MEMBERCATALOG at the command line to bring up the Structural Member Catalog. Go to Imperial > Timber > Lumber > Nominal Cut Lumber for the most accurate wood dimensions, since usually a 1 x 4 at Home Depot or some other lumber yard would actually be .75" x 3.75" which is what this represents. Anyways, any lumber you would use, just Right-Click, and select "Generate Member Style" and this will import it into your current drawing. From there, use the Tool Palettes > Design Tab to bring in the structural members using one of the three Structural tools.

This might be a bit over your head, as I don't know your level of AutoCAD Architecture yet. But this is definitely the best way for building a wooden decking, and probably not the easiest for just starting out.

Hi, thanks for repying.

Got stuck after the Design Tab, sorry what do you mean by "bring in the structural members using one of the three Structural tools." ?