Help turning 3d array into dxf

stdjpd21

:cry: Hi, I have a problem I cant overcome due to my limited knowledge of Inventor. I have made an assembly of several parts. The parts have been arrayed. My end goal is to be able to get the parts all cut out via waterjet but the people who do this said they need .dxf format. How do I take a 3d assembly of several parts stuck together and convert that into a .dxf? I can convert the assembly .iam into a single piece .ipt but I loose the outlines of the individual parts? This problem is driving my crazy. Using Inventor 2010

what are the parts? If these parts are sheet metal you can flatten them(flat pattern), select the face using the right mouse button and export face as a dxf or dwg. If these parts are solids you can make a drawing file(2d technical drawing .idw file) and save as. Be sure you know what version they need and after you select to save as a dxf click the options button.

The parts are solid objects. I imported them each separately into the whole assembly...so I don't have the entire thing as one big sketch. I will reread over the links posted and the advice. I will try to also post an example of what im talking about. Thanks so much for yalls help too.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=763d1958a6d5a93a41446e35a78dc463e04e75f6e8ebb871

There is the link to download an assembly example and the 2 parts that make it up. Ive never uploaded files like this before so let me know if there is a problem. Basically I need to know how to turn that assembly into a dxf that shows all the outlines of each part so it can be water jetted. Each sheet will be from 4'x4' aluminum.

Im not very good with formats and file type association technicalness. If someone could look over the assembly I uploaded and let me know what needs to be done or redrawn on my parts it would greatly help. Ive managed to get one of them in .idw form (which opens up in the viewer) as a 2d but I need .dxf format. Seems like there should be a simply way to just make a .dxf of my entire assembly? edit: There is no save to/ export dxf file when I click on one of the faces and there is no save as .idw form either. And when I convert it to .dwf I can only open it in design review and there is no option there to save as .dxf? This is driving me crazy :(

Im not very good with formats and file type association technicalness. If someone could look over the assembly I uploaded and let me know what needs to be done or redrawn on my parts it would greatly help. Ive managed to get one of them in .idw form (which opens up in the viewer) as a 2d but I need .dxf format. Seems like there should be a simply way to just make a .dxf of my entire assembly?

I can't open your 2010 version as I only have Inventor 10, however, if you have managed to create an .idw file with your 2d profiles your almost there.

File >> Save Copy As... and at the dialog box under the "Save as Type" pull down choose .dxf

I must say though that it would probably be best to create your 2d .idw files with your part files and not your assembly since that may yield the wrong cut pattern for the waterjet.

KC

But when in .idw form I loose the outlines of all the parts and its replaced by one big solid. :( I wil upload an older version too because I really would like you to see what Im starting from.

But when in .idw form I loose the outlines of all the parts and its replaced by one big solid. :( I wil upload an older version too because I really would like you to see what Im starting from.

Yes, that is why I suggested you create your .idw (2d profile) from your ipt (part files) and not your .iam (assy file).

How many parts are in the assembly?

When you start a new .idw file for your base view select the file you want(single part not an assembly). Make sure your units are right when you start these files and make sure the waterjet guys know what units are so there is no confusion.

After you have create your 2d view of your part(in the orientation you want it to be cut) just go to Save As and change the file type to dxf.

Ok I think I understand what you mean. Let me try that.

Ok I now have parts all in the form of cutting assembly in .idw form. however when I go to save as there is only save as .idw or save as .dwg?

Ok the add in for dxf was blank. I changed it to loaded status. Now what do I do, still no save as .dxf option.

EDIT: That appears to have worked! wow I would have never figured that out. I restarted autodesk Inventor after checking that and I know how a save copy as .dxf option. Thank yall soooo much. I'll def ask more questions if they arrise.

no problem. The add-ins have two options for Load behavior. There is Loaded/Unloaded. If you check this box you will load that add-in instantly. The Load on Startup options will only load that add-in when the program is started.

have fun!