Project starter

124 Maker

Im a student and new to the site, I want to modify the suspension on my truck but since im new to designing I dont know where to start. I finished a semester so im not a total nob. Im looking for any tips on how to get this project started. I will be using the 2010 student version of autocad and can this be done usind 2d drafting?

Im wanting to design a new supension with lower & upper A-arms along with spindles For my truck. Should i go out and measure and mark the location and leangth of were the new one are going to be, or is there a file i can get of a stock truck & modify? Or do i start from scratch. How would you guys start a project like this im looking for any short cuts or tips.

short cuts lol - I would start by drawing the exsisting stuff your not going to change to scale then add the changes to your drawing and get mesurements from your drawing for the new stuff. I dont think your going to get a drawing of your stock stuff unless you can scan a copy of it from a repaire manual and then trace the image to scale.

IMO

That's quite the "starter" project.

Draw everything you have/need in model space and draw it "full size" and not "to scale". That is the correct way of doing it. Later on, assuming you ever finish, switch to your layout, establish your viewport(s) and apply the required scale(s).

You better be prepared to take some very accurate measurements too otherwise you may find that after you have designed and built your new suspension it doesn't fit (talk about a waste of time and money).