Disappearing icons

DWG Destroyer

I recently updated my AutoCAD to 2009 version and amongst other problems that have now been resolved, my explode icon has disappeared! It was present for about a week and now it has just disappeared, leaving the bubbled question mark icon in its place. I've tried looking all over for it and even copying an icon from the web but it doesn’t integrate itself properly when linked to AutoCAD like other buttons do. Instead, anything I use will warp slightly and it just doesn’t look the same. Any ideas how I can get the icon back without reinstalling and such? Cheers.

Don't I know it! I'd rather not go down that road, as I’ve just got it how I like it and am prepared to sacrifice one somewhat pixelated icon for the safety of my setup. Though perhaps when I’ve got more time on my hands ill have at it then.

One of the few times I might actually recommend wiping everything from the hard drive and starting from scratch but that does tend to be a bit extreme. Still, you've had more problems in the past month than I've had in the past ten years. Have you tried the Repair option yet?

Most encouraging! I must be something of a haphazard. Still, if a Repair is the only way to go then ill have to grit my teeth and hope for the best. That or continue attempting to produce a replica icon from web sources. I'd rather the latter to be honest!

Yeah, it just tends to the files that have been altered since the install does it not? This is what I’m worried about - I don’t want the thing to write over something important I want left alone!

To be honest, I’m not sure what it was that did it. I have been altering the cui, then one day I just noticed the missing icon with no way to trace my steps!

Can you run a full backup of your machine to external media? Run the backup, then you can revert to your current status if the repair ooption makes negative progress.

Most bakups can be run without attention, just kick it off before bed and let it run.

Some backup software (I use Acronis True Image) even has an option to let you install new softwareand try it out before commiting to really install it. (As long as the software does not require a reboot.) So with Acronis Try and Decide running, you would run the repair option and see if it fixes your problem - if yes, you let Acronis know that you like the changes and to make them permanent. If not, you reboot and ALL changes that were made while running Try and Decide are gone. (Thats ALL changes - don't download email or work on documents while using this option - they dissapear if you dump the changes.)

Glen