Missing Shape files

sparkyuk

I received some drawings from a client that is missing some shape files, it looks for file names like Z.shx when opeing the dwg's, I have asked and he says he has the same problems when he opens them so is unable to send these to me, the drawing seems to open fine and I can not seen anything that looks wrong, so would I like to stop autocad asking for these files, any help please ? :oops:,

Iv also had this in the past with fonts and it will change the font to another one but nags you for it each time I open the file so i would like to know how to stop that as well if its different to above

Thank you

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sparkyuk

• ReMark

• rkmcswain

• SLW210

AutoCAD is looking for a font (Z.shx) and can't find it. Someone (your client) may have gotten a drawing from a vendor (or another subcontractor) and wasn't supplied the font. He gets the error, emails you a copy of the drawing, now you get the error. Ask him to ask the "other guy" to use eTransmit and he'll be sure to get everything that is supposed to come with the drawing.

In the meantime, as far as the Z.shx font is concerned, substitute one of your own. Make a copy of a font you typically like to use, rename the copy to the one AutoCAD is looking for. When the drawing is opened AutoCAD will now find the Z.shx font and most likely stop pestering you for it.

If AutoCAD is asking for a shape file, then it is not looking for a "font file". You can't just copy a font file and rename it. AutoCAD will not accept a font file for a shape any more than it will accept a shape file for a font. Unfortunately, they happen to share the file extension, but nothing else.

Only in very rare cases will AutoCAD ever prompt you for a font. You can view the font substitution workflow in HELP.

sparkyuk - you need to figure out what is referencing this shape file, purge it, then you can purge the shape file reference. See this for more info and a possible way to locate the reference: http://cadpanacea.com/node/27

RKM: The OP did indeed type snape (should have been shape) in the heading but immediately started talking about shx files. Thus my advice. I totally agree with you that renaming a font file to a shape file does not work.

RKM: The OP did indeed type snape (should have been shape) in the heading but immediately started talking about shx files.

Shape files are SHX files, so the OP was right on both counts (if you don't count the typo...)

thanks was unable to find it by searching here dont know why, typed "AutoCAD FAQ > Customisation > How do I use an AutoLISP routine?" into google instead of searching here and it found this right off well weird" http://www.cadtutor.net/faq/questions/28/How+do+I+use+an+AutoLISP+routine%3F "

ran the lisp and it came up with

LINETYPE [bATTING] uses SHAPE # [134] in the file [ltypeshp.shx]

LINETYPE [FENCELINE1] uses SHAPE # [133] in the file [ltypeshp.shx]

LINETYPE [FENCELINE2] uses SHAPE # [132] in the file [ltypeshp.shx]

LINETYPE [TRACKS] uses SHAPE # [130] in the file [ltypeshp.shx]

LINETYPE [ZIGZAG] uses SHAPE # [131] in the file [ltypeshp.shx]

LINETYPE [FENCE_ELECTRIC] uses SHAPE # [1] in the file [z]

LINETYPE [FWA-R] uses SHAPE # [1] in the file [FWA-R.shx]

LINETYPE [FW-RM] uses SHAPE # [1] in the file [FW-RM.shx]

LINETYPE [sWA-R] uses SHAPE # [1] in the file [FWA-R.shx]

LINETYPE [sW-RM] uses SHAPE # [1] in the file [sW-RM.shx]

The following SHAPE FILE is loaded: [ltypeshp.shx]

The following SHAPE FILE is loaded: [z]

The following SHAPE FILE is loaded: [FWA-R.shx]

The following SHAPE FILE is loaded: [FW-RM.shx]

The following SHAPE FILE is loaded: [sW-RM.shx]

The highlighted names are the one's it asks for wehn loading

so i',m right in thinking it has not removed the missing files am i right ?

• 1 year later...

Had to come back to this thread again sorry guys, the missing shape files were cured by changing the line types to continuous and then purging that got rid of all the errors for shape files, but I never cure the missing fonts problem, I now have another drawing with missing fonts ie arialbig & stylubig & cityb___big, substituting them for fonts that are on my computer when loading and then saving wont get rid of the error, so once again how can I permanently substitute the missing fonts please ?

The only way I know of to fix missing fonts is to install those fonts. There are a lot of free fonts on the Web. If you can't find these specific fonts, you can get something similar and change the name.

Thanks CyberAngel for your reply, I have not been able to locate the missing fonts I did try, I did think to do as you said and just rename some other fonts, the only problem with that is I would have to then send those fonts everytime I send the drawing anywhere ? so I was looking for another answer

SLW210 I havnt set anything on entering "FONTALT" it says "Enter new value for FONTALT, or . for none :" adding a known font here didnt make any difference on reloading the same drawing it still asks for the missing fonts ?