How to draw gear like this?

Random one

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Auto CAD, but I've drawn few things with CADS.

Is this kind of gear hard to draw:

img146.imageshack.us/img146/5590/43478524.jpg

How can I draw it to be exatly the same? I have only these dimensions for it: 0.8 mod 32, 107 tooth. I will get the real gear in next few days from my friend so I can do some measurements, but I'm concerned if I'm able to draw the tooth so they are identical.

Thank you for any help you can give!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Random one

• chelsea1307

• ReMark

• StevenMc

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly welcome to the forum :)

its hard to tell if you will be able to draw this, if you manage to get all the dimensions then its drawable. How much experience do you have and what have you drawn would be some good info

I have only drawn some boxes and holes :P But I will draw this with my dad who has been drawing with CADS for over 10 years. He is electrical designer (I think thats correct termn in english :P).

well if you've only drawn boxes and holes it will be harder to draw. Its not impossible though, you may just find it a little harder but with some help with your Dad im sure you'll get there :)

it would be good to see your end result, you could post it in the showcase part of the forum to show off your good work :)

All the best

well i would probably just draw it in plan then exrtrude it by what ever the dimension is because it looks to me like its all the same thickness.

didn't udnerstand wht exrtrude means, but is there some way to get those teeth automaticly if I have the measurements? I googled and found one called "Gear Factory 6", do you know if that's any good?

extrude it an autocad command to give a select object or objects height. Pretty much saying draw the gear in 2d then extrude (give it a height) that you need

definition from acad help: Creates a 3D solid or surface by extruding a 2D object

Extrude is a term used in 3D. Extruding an object gives it height.

I'm not familiar with Gear Factory 6 but I'm pretty sure I saw a lisp routine somewhere that somewhat automates the process of drawing a gear.

Is GF6 an add-on to AutoCAD?

another thing to consider is how often will you be drawing these gears? If its just this once, i would just create it with autocad if its something you will be doing multiple times a day/week then you might want to get the program

Dray one tooth and then type AR and ENTER . In the array box select POLAR and type 360 degrees and select the gear ,and then you need to select the center of the rotation so a circle drawn already and the gear positioned on that circle will help ,then AutoCAD draws them all for you . You may need a couple attempts to get the alingment correct. Then use the EXT command (extrude)and select the gear and it will prompt for Height which refers to the thickness of the sprocket or gear and turns it into a 3D solid.

Hope that helps.