Retain z axis in dxf file.

cadmatic

Using 2009 full AutoCAD. I am trying to create a dxf file to use in CNC software to create tool paths. I want the tool to follow a line along the Y axis. The line on the Y axis travels up and down in Z axis to create a profile of a spindle. By drawing the profile from a view showing a side view of the Z axis, I can duplicate an old chair spindle, for example, and pass the router directly above the center of the work piece and follow the profile drawn in AutoCAD. The problem I have is that the Z axis gets lost in the dfx file. Does anyone have a suggestion of how I can preserve the Z axis vectors. Thanks in advance.

I don't know the absolute answer, but pondering on the matter, I see what might be the problem. In AutoCAD, a polyline can only be in one plane, usually the x,y plane and the z value is a constant. I assume that you have been drawing your profile in the y, z plane and made it a polyline. When you come to extracting a DXF file, the DXF generator has its rules, and one of them is that a polyline cannot have a differing z value, so it ignores it. Perhaps that is why you are losing the z axis information in your DXF file. :cry:

Try juggling around your axes and fool AutoCAD. :D

I don't think it's as much a problem with the .dxf file as with the way your cnc software is translating it.

Are you able to rotate your profile within the cnc software to orient it on the correct axis? If not try rotating your part in autocad to a different axis and try saving to your .dxf again.

I am curious though about what kind of router you are using. Does it have an XY table and the spindle rotates around the Z axis? Or is their more axis involved?

KC

The table is the x,y plane and the router raises and lowers in z. I needto keep the sharp point of the bit should travel above the center of the spindle or work piece. The workpiece is turned as if it is mounted in a lathe.

OK, so there is a fourth axis... Still, I don't know what more you can do to the .dxf file other then making sure your usc is rotated correctly when exporting the file.

spindle_02.jpg

Good Luck

KC