extruding mesh faces

oompa_l

can you extrude mesh faces along a direction instead of just the face normals? I want to force the translation just along the z axis...

help?

I'm not sure what you mean? Can you provide a screenshot of what you are trying to do? Extrude normally wants to go in a direction normal to the face of the object, so I would have to say no, you can't extrude in a specific direction. I would suggest you Extrude and then move the extruded poly's where you want them. I would also suggest you work in Editable Poly mode. You will find that you have more options to choose from.

I'm also having a problem where faces that meet other perpendicular faces - when I extrude them in the negative direction I get some awful edges and faces along the coplanar face - any ideas about a good way to deal with this? it's driving me crazy