mesh vs poly

oompa_l

I am just starting to dig into modeling in max and I'm wondering if there's an equivalent to bridge-ing in editing a mesh? the reason I prefer meshes is because the editable polys often look funny - they typically start off as meshes but when I convert to polys I find that the way faces meet edges sometimes look weird - the geometry looks changed and I am worried about the rendering being likewise affected - is this just the way polys work or are there settings I should be aware of?

That's just the way poly's work. You can, and should, apply smoothing modifiers before rendering, especially if you're modeling organic shapes. Working in Editable Poly mode is much better than Editable Mesh. You have more control and many more options available which gives you more freedom to create your model. I never work with meshes.

• 2 months later...