Select overlapping lines

OLD SCHOOL

Acad 2009:?

When you have a number of lines or layers on top of each other, what is the correct way of toggling between them when trying to select 1 in particular.

If you don't mind temporarily not seeing the other layers you could use the Layer Isolate command. At the command line type LAYISO or select it from Menu Browser > Format > Layer Tools.

Why would you have several lines on top of each other? if the are exactly the same, use OVERKILL to remove all unnecessary lines.

Are the different layers? Use the LAYFRZ command to freeze the layers one by one until you find the line you are looking for.

Is there any other difference between them? use QSELECT to find the line you are looking for.

You can also use the Make Object's Layer Current command (there is a button on the Home tab, Layers panel). From the command line it is LAYMCUR.

There is something else - but I don't know for sure what it is or how it works. When I select a location that has more than one object one over top of the other - I occasionally see a help dialog pop up in the top right of my screen. It says something about using shift spacebar to toggle through the objects...

I never paid enough attention to it and just now trying it I can't make it work.

Is this enough to trigger anyones memory?

Glen

Hold down Shift & Spacebar and then click on a line to select it. This will put you in mode and you can now start cycling through the overlapping lines by left mouse clicking on the line. Once you have the line selected that you want, hit Enter to exit "Cycle" mode and you can now perform whatever action you need, ie: Move, Scale, Rotate, Delete, etc.

I can't speak for the OP but it sometimes happens when moving stuff around. You drop it in place, and some lines overlap, selecting which one you want to move to fix it can be a pain.

I also have a set of blocks that are all the same size and shape that are designed to be inserted one atop the other, there are unique places for each one that you can select, but being able to cycle through with the above method will make things easier.

No, in general I don't draw things on top of each other though.

Glen

PS. Thanks CAD64 for explaining how to use that feature.

Just out of curiousity what are you drawing that would have a number of lines atop each other?

I was refering to lines or objects that may be difficult to select for any number of reasons. If you right click using microstation, you are able to move your selection from 1 line, or object to another without having to isolate that line or object. I was just wondering if anyone used a similar function in ACAD.

I was refering to lines or objects that may be difficult to select for any number of reasons. If you right click using microstation, you are able to move your selection from 1 line, or object to another without having to isolate that line or object. I was just wondering if anyone used a similar function in ACAD.

The cycle function that Cad64 mentioned is the AutoCad equivalent.

(I don't miss using Microstation.)

• 2 years later...

This actually just happened to me - on accident. I was working on a very large drawings with small elevations that are all very similar. At some point, without realizing it, I moved elevations on top of each other and continued working on my drawing. Today I realized what happened and I did not want to run OVERKILL because I would have to redraw all of those elevations, what I wanted to do was select the overlapping lines and move them. I just create a custom lsp command to do just that, for now it's called MOVEOVER, for move overlapping lines. A co-worker suggested I call it, REDROVERREDROVER-MOVEOVERLAPPINGONOVER, another was MOVEDUPS, move duplicates.