Zooming

MisterJingles

Hi guys

I usually do not need to start a drawing from scratch as Im always working on other peoples drawings. But I needed to put together a drawing for one of the engineers and am having a small problem with the zooming.

It keeps telling me I have zoomed out as far as possible. I do a ZOOM EXTENTS and it still will not allow me to zoom out any further than that.

Did I need to set my working space or something of that sort first?

Thanks

Rob

You shouldn't really need to zoom out further than Zoom>Extents, that will show you everything you have in your drawing. If you need to draw stuff on coordinates outside of the Extents-view, just type in the coordinates and it'll end up there anyway. And next time you do Zoom>Extents you get to see that too.

The "zoomed out as far as possible" could be affected by the LIMITS-setting... type in LIMITS and change the lower left corner and upper right corner. But you don't really need to change LIMITS, just start drawing and the Zoom>Extents will adapt to your drawing.

I just like to zoom further out than the extents when Im moving around my drawing. Feels kinda claustrophobic :)

Thanks for the help Tiger

I know the feeling Jingles - one way around it is to always draw a rectangle a good distance outside of your actual drawing (preferably on layer Defpoints). That'll fool Zoom>Extents :thumbsup:

I know the feeling Jingles - one way around it is to always draw a rectangle a good distance outside of your actual drawing (preferably on layer Defpoints). That'll fool Zoom>Extents :thumbsup:

Thanks Tiger! I do the same to trick AutoCAD when I zoom extends.

I have a path across the top of my Calcomp tablet that essentially does nothing. I can see the whole image, but does not do anything to the very top area. Can't even use the pull downs.

My work around was to pan one way then the opposite. Set random limits at bottom left and upper right. The do a ZOOM,

(A)ll

and I get whole thing and can alter to my hearts content. The view Extents only allows me to see a portion of the whole.

Wm.

This won't help MisterJingles using LT, but I actually defined my own Zoom Extents command.

You can change the "0.9x" to get more or less buffer around your drawing.

(defun c:ZE ()
(command "zoom" "e" "zoom" "0.9x")
(princ)
)

This won't help MisterJingles using LT, but I actually defined my own Zoom Extents command.

Why would it not work in LT? Is Zoom>Extents some express thing or?

I think Cad64 was refering to his lisp routine rather than the zoom extents

ahh, then I get it - was racking my brain trying to see why Z>E would not work in LT, thanks Dave :)

Yeah that caught me too. It was beginning to make sense why LT was so much cheaper :)

It seems to me that you cant really know Autocad "well" when working only with LT.

So many tools are not available which give you the edge over others.

Im using a 3d navigator mouse in autocad (because i also work in inventor). it seems to overide the maximum limit and lets you zoom out almost endlessly. way more then scrolling with my normal mouse.