Missing Icons for Layers in Layer Manager

CADnewbie

I am missing the icons for the "ON/OFF", "FREEZE", and "LOCK" in the Layer Properties Manager in AutoCAD 2010. Recently upgraded computer to 64-bit and had to re-install 2010. Since then, it takes forever to reload the Properties Manager. Adding new layers, trying to turn layers on/off, freeze layers, etc. causes the Manager to reload. The file I am working with is only 75 kb, tiny in comparison to files I usually work with. My co-worker has a 64-bit and 2010 as well, and her Properties Manager is working just fine. Do I have to reload 2010??? I really hope not!

I am missing the icons for the "ON/OFF", "FREEZE", and "LOCK" in the Layer Properties Manager in AutoCAD 2010. Recently upgraded computer to 64-bit and had to re-install 2010. Since then, it takes forever to reload the Properties Manager. Adding new layers, trying to turn layers on/off, freeze layers, etc. causes the Manager to reload. The file I am working with is only 75 kb, tiny in comparison to files I usually work with. My co-worker has a 64-bit and 2010 as well, and her Properties Manager is working just fine. Do I have to reload 2010??? I really hope not!

i'd repair.

back up your acad.cui and save your profile, just to be safe.

Try running a Repair before Re-Installing. Running a Repair won't hurt any customization you may have done.

And here's a tip. Don't work with your Layers Manager open. I initially thought that was a great new feature and I was keeping the Layers Manager open on my second monitor while working. But I found that it causes major lag when switching between layouts or between model space and paper space or moving between drawings because, as you said, it has to regenerate every time. Leave it closed and just open it when you need it.

Try running a Repair before Re-Installing. Running a Repair won't hurt any customization you may have done.

And here's a tip. Don't work with your Layers Manager open. I initially thought that was a great new feature and I was keeping the Layers Manager open on my second monitor while working. But I found that it causes major lag when switching between layouts or between model space and paper space or moving between drawings because, as you said, it has to regenerate every time. Leave it closed and just open it when you need it.

same here. several of my coworkers were complaining how c3d09 was the worst ever, i then noticed they all had design center, sheet set manager, layer manager, properties manager, tool space and external references manager opening on startup. once they finally listened to me to turn some off, all was well.

the properties manager, i've found, is the biggest hog.

• 3 weeks later...

I have also found the "ALL" layer missing. Very handy when trying to turn all layers off excect the current layer. Annoying now to have to go through and manually turn every layer off, then back on again. Any way to return "ALL" to the list?

Dave

• 2 months later...

I too was missing my on & freeze icons in layer manger but found that if restarted 2010 and opened the layer manager on a blank drawing (before doing anything else) my icons were there. I could then open the drawing I wanted to work in and the icons would remain. Not ideal but it worked for me.

• 2 years later...

I have the missing icons too, in the VP toggles of the layer manager. They appeared briefly after a reinstall and then promptly disappeared again. I have heard its a memory issue. Where? Virtual memory? I have everything closed in the drawing file except the layer manager. I'm using Autocad 2010 in Windows XP sp3.

• 2 years later...

I believe it has something to do with installing US Imperial + Metric + Global, then clicking on the wrong icon. My suggestion is to only install the one you need. Btw, this worked for me on 2016..

These steps worked for me:

1. Make sure AutoCAD MEP is closed.

2. Right click on desk top Icon…go to properties, change the target to:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2016\acad.exe" /ld "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD

2016\AecBase.dbx" /p "AutoCAD MEP (US Imperial)" /product "MEP" /language "en-US"

3. Double click icon to open. It should ask to reset your profile to default select ok.

4. Once open type Options enter. Go to Profile tab. Make sure it is on AutoCAD MEP (US Imperial)

5. I deleted the other profiles.

6. Some of my toolbars went away so I did typed CUILOAD enter and clicked browse to reload the MEP.cui

7. Go to the Manage tab on your ribbon click CUI user Interface button and Right click on the Electrical

workspace. Choose Set as Default, apply. Then right click again and choose Set as Current, apply.

8. Everything should be good…except maybe some of your option setting you like. You will have to redo

your option you like. Do not create a new profile though. It seems to corrupt your program making

custom profiles.

-PlanoTech

Plano: You do realize the original post is from 2009 and the OP was NOT using AutoCAD MEP but generic AutoCAD 2010 do you not? As a matter of fact two other respondents (mraissdana and chastua) to this thread were also using AutoCAD and 2010. Any advice referencing AutoCAD MEP is not relevant.

Plano: You do realize the original post is from 2009 and the OP was NOT using AutoCAD MEP but generic AutoCAD 2010 do you not? As a matter of fact two other respondents (mraissdana and chastua) to this thread were also using AutoCAD and 2010. Any advice referencing AutoCAD MEP is not relevant.

My solution is for missing icons in the layer manager. If it helps someone, great.

OK...maybe I'm missing something. These two items both reference AutoCAD MEP. While the first is relatively innocuous the second is quite specific.

1. Make sure AutoCAD MEP is closed.

2. Right click on desk top Icon…go to properties, change the target to:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2016\acad.exe" /ld "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD

2016\AecBase.dbx" /p "AutoCAD MEP (US Imperial)" /product "MEP" /language "en-US"

My solution is for missing icons in the layer manager. If it helps someone, great.

Your reply is appreciated, but please be mindful of the dates on the threads you are replying to. Digging up and replying to old threads from 6 years ago just clutters the forum and makes it more difficult for people to receive the help they need with issues they are experiencing today.

Also, make sure the help you are providing is relevant to the issue and the software the OP is using. Solutions for MEP may or may not work in regular AutoCAD.