'nother Boundary situation

Coosbaylumber

Has been coming up the past couple of weeks here now, but thought I had it solved or dismissed. But am getting error messages again that say,,,, cannot complete (selected command) as is outside of boundary.

What is happening is that I work with circles and arcs everyday. These are always approximate, and need then to be scaled from one certain visable point along the edge to something usually larger.

I used to,,,, touch the arc, the ask the line to go from CENTER of to some point and get a line then. Now after the scaling, am getting an error message indicating that the center to the arc is currently outside the LIMITS for drawing, and thus get no line whatsoever. I have to go back and reset the limits and then can go on. Then just before I gt out of the drawing editor, have to reset the limits again.

I cannot remember exactly but this used to not matter any. I could originate a line from (any place) convenient location and then use it for the few minutes the drawing is opened up. Cut off ends etc, and then continue. Now, cannot even get that far.

Way back when used to be a command to add to my ACAD.LSP file that ignored the OUTSIDE the limits problem, or could type it right in while opened up, and then keep going.

Am I wrong here, or something slipped my mind and got cahnged w/o me noticing?

Wm.

Try this. One never knows when one is dealing with a pre-2000 version of AutoCAD.

Type limcheck on the command line.

Enter 0 as the value.

Press ENTER.

Now test it.

Still have the problem?

LIMCHECK has a value for each space, and so LIMCHECK=0 would work for the current space. Perhaps better to go for LIMITS OFF and be quite sure :)

Now, that seems familiar.

But first off, explain to me a bit more on the use of LIMITS OFF then. All I can remember is that it was a two word phrase, without an equals (=) sign being used. Can I use it like within some troublesome drawing?

Wm.

Wax On / Wax Off. Oops...I mean Limits. From AutoCAD Help files:

On

Turns on limits checking. When limits checking is on, you cannot enter points outside the grid limits. Because limits checking tests only points that you enter, portions of objects such as circles can extend outside the grid limits.

Off

Turns off limits checking but maintains the current values for the next time you turn on limits checking.

But first off, explain to me a bit more on the use of LIMITS OFF then. All I can remember is that it was a two word phrase, without an equals (=) sign being used. Can I use it like within some troublesome drawing?

I was being lazy with my reply, and the way to go is -

Type LIMITS at the command line.

Enter OFF as the value

Wax On / Wax Off. Oops...I mean Limits. From AutoCAD Help files:

On

Turns on limits checking. When limits checking is on, you cannot enter points outside the grid limits. Because limits checking tests only points that you enter, portions of objects such as circles can extend outside the grid limits.

Off

Turns off limits checking but maintains the current values for the next time you turn on limits checking.

I found a bona-fide manual set at swap meet for $1 and it says same as you.

But, I type in LIMITS and gives a normal looking responce then.

But, when I type in or add OFF, I get a huge pause, and a Duhh, "unsupported command" responce.

I sort of wonder if the command is available to me on not now. Don't want to go through the pain of reloading all of Autocad, just for one simple command that gets used maybe one or two times per year. Takes longer to re-load it than to work around it in some manner.

Wm.

Did you even bother to check your Help files re: LIMITS to see what it said?

When you type LIMITS at the command line is this the response you get?

Specify lower left corner or [ON/OFF] :

Mark...

Someone came in (Boy Genious?) and altered the Help file available via the computer long before I even placed a pinky onto the keyboard. I rarely go to that now.

Instead now go to the $2 special swap meet book (pages) for answers. It is substantialy more complete than the Help files.

Wm.