How To Install Custom Hatch Patterns Within Acad-2010?

artavilo

Dear Friends, I Live in South Baja Mexico (Mexi-Born), and recently installed Acad R2010 and I need to install new custom hatches but don't know how.... I got working with Autocad since 1990; probably it was R2.0. This is the first time that I try to do it, so I don´t want to mess the whole thing misplacing my .pat files. I´ll appreciate your support... best regards from Hurricane Jimena... hiting the baja peninsula right now...:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the idea but I think it won´t work that way fo me... I just wanna to do it the easy way... cut the *.pat files from the extracted folder and paste them into the file inside Acad where they supose to go... Isn´t that way easier... So I must understand that they go then inside the support file? Is that what´re you trying to tell me? Thanks again!

Before adding your custom hatch patterns to acad.pat make a copy of the file and store it in another folder (as insurance).

To find out which file has to be editted type the following at the command line (exactly as you see it):

(findfile"acad.pat")

AutoCAD will return the path to the acad.pat file it uses. Since you are using AutoCAD's own hatch pattern file (only modifying it) you won't have to do anything as far as the Support File Search Path goes.

Honestly, I think you should create your own hatch pattern file. Put the file in the same location as the acad.pat file AutoCAD uses. When it comes time that you want to use a pattern from this file, in the Hatch and Gradient dialog box, under the heading Type and Pattern, select Custom from the drop-down list. Opposite the text Custom Pattern use the browse key to locate the file you created.

i´m already working with my new hatch album and finally I´ll have too may options to work with.... now I can use Stone like hatches and bricks... I´m happy like a child with a cotton candy.... thanks Remark for you support... I got several years working with autocad and never done this... and I´m tottaly new with Autocad 2010.... and as The Police said... "have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college"

Well actually a live right in the middle peninsula where the big salt flats are located and wehre the gray whales gather on winter time and if you go to the NOAA web site and search on the pacific hurricane forecast you´ll se where it´s going to hit... Guerrero Negro is on the path of this *****. right now we have some rain and wind... pray for me...lol. I´ll keep you informed... and thanks again for you support.. by the way I got my fridge full of beer....just in case!

• 1 year later...

Hello! I am a new member! Could anyone please tell me where can I find the patterns inside the autocad program files because I cannot find them!!

Thank you very much!

Welcome to the CADTutor forum ddt. You would get more "eyes" on your post if it were a new thread. By tacking it onto a thread about custom hatch patterns many people will just pass it by. Just something to keep in mind in the future. Now to your question.

Type the following at your command line: (findfile"acad.pat"). Press Enter. AutoCAD will return the path to the acad.pat file. It will look something like this:

"C:\\Documents and Settings\\ddt's computer\\application data\\autodesk\\autocad 2010\\r18.0\\enu\\support\\acad.pat"

You can cut and paste this path into your browser and be taken right to the file. Got it?

• 2 years later...

when i add my custom pattern (wood.pat) to in the directory where the acad.pat file is located, and try to use the custom pattern in autocad 2010, I get an "Error in Pattern File"... here is the file contents:

*WOOD4,

90, 0,0, 0,4, 3,-13

90, 1,4, 0,4, 1,-15

90, 2,6, 0,4, 1,-15

90, 3,8, 0,4, 3,-13

90, 2,12, 0,4, 1,-15

90, 1,14, 0,4, 1,-15

45, 0,3, -2.82842712,2.82842712, 1.41421356,-21.21320344

45, 1,5, -2.82842712,2.82842712, 1.41421356,-21.21320344

45, 2,7, -2.82842712,2.82842712, 1.41421356,-21.21320344

135, 3,11, 2.82842712,2.82842712, 1.41421356,-21.21320344

135, 2,13, 2.82842712,2.82842712, 1.41421356,-21.21320344

135, 1,15, 2.82842712,2.82842712, 1.41421356,-21.21320344

There are two things which are necessary in stand-alone pattern files:

1) The file name must be the same as the characters in the first line of the file, between the * and the first comma. Your file should therefore be called Wood4 (upper case and lower case do not matter).

2) There must be a blank line at the end of the definition lines, before saving. Obviously I cannot see the blank line at the end of your file.

Try both of those and you should see the pattern

Wood4Pattern.JPG

Edited by eldon
adding picture