Plot scale

Bane

Hello,

I have got many dxf symbols that I import to drawing. They have their own sizes which are fixed no matter what scale factor I use for plotting. So, is there any way, if I want to plot my drawing in some different scale, to have those symbols plotted always in fixed size (without changing their sizes in drawing)? I need step by step procedure.

It's pretty hard to change symbols sizes every time I plot in different scale, to plot them in regular size.

Thanks.

Hello,

I have got many dxf symbols that I import to drawing. They have their own sizes which are fixed no matter what scale factor I use for plotting. So, is there any way, if I want to plot my drawing in some different scale, to have those symbols plotted always in fixed size (without changing their sizes in drawing)? I need step by step procedure.

It's pretty hard to change symbols sizes every time I plot in different scale, to plot them in regular size.

Thanks.

Don't quite understand what you are doing here.

When I get a DXF file of any type, I open up a whole new drawing, DXFIN that file, and the save or SAVE-AS that same title. (Then destroy the original DXF file). That simple file then gets XREF'd in to where needed in yet another drawing file. Rotated, sized etc. I can then go into any drawing editor situations, and it wil be up to date, rotated and sized properly then, automatically.

If the former DXF file is to become permanent, then it gets binded (and exploded). The named drawing then gets bigger and bigger a few bytes at a time then.

Works for me. But there may be other routines too.

I then go back and erase all DXF files, all BAK files, etc. from job directory.

Wm.

You want to change the size of the drawing but not change the size of the symbols you have in the drawing? Where are these symbols actually placed? Are they in model space or in paper space? Are they part of a legend?

I will try to be more specific.

My drawing contains points, lines, polylines, circles..., and it is drawn in scale 1:1 in Model Space.

Some point entitets in drawing should have special graphic signs inserted or pasted on. Those special signs, are called "topographic signs" (for example: tower for exterior lighting, traffic signs, electricity objects etc). Every topographic sign is a long while ago saved as separated dxf file. Until now, I opened a specific dxf file, select the topographic sign and paste it to main drawing in scale 1:1.

Investor asks for a plotted drawings in scales 1:1000 (1:1), 1:500 (2:1), and 1:2500 (2.5:1), and I did this by choosing mentioned scales in Plot dialogue. But when I select plot scale and plot the drawing, everything on paper is scaled up or down (depending on chosen scale), what is ok, but I want only topographic signs to stay always in original size (1:1). If the circle with 2mm diameter is topographic sign, it should be printed with 2mm diameter no matter what scale I choose.

To fix this, I must select every topographic objects and scale it before plotting. For example if I have to plot in 1:500 (2:1), I must select every topographic sign and scale it down with scale factor 0.5, if I want to have it in original size after plotting the whole drawing using 2:1 plot scale.

It's so difficult when I must do this every time if I want to plot in different scale. Main question is how to plot some objects in different scale then other objects in the same drawing, or, how to fix objects size to be always the same on paper no matter what Plot scale is chosen.

Thank you all.

I was always taught that symbols change their size relative to the rest of the drawing. I'm not sure how you change the scale of the base drawing while not changing the size of the symbols. Somehow the symbols would have to be linked to their proper locations otherwise as you go about plotting at different scales the symbols would not be located properly. I can't think of a way to do this at the moment. Someone much smarter than I will have to come along with an answer.

If I understand what your trying to do, this sounds like a situation where annotative blocks would be ideal. Otherwise I don't think this is possible. Are you having to scale each symbol one at a time or do you select all symbols and scale them in the properties dialog? By doing it in the properties dialog the symbols coordinates remain at the point of insertion.

I was always taught that symbols change their size relative to the rest of the drawing. I'm not sure how you change the scale of the base drawing while not changing the size of the symbols. Somehow the symbols would have to be linked to their proper locations otherwise as you go about plotting at different scales the symbols would not be located properly. I can't think of a way to do this at the moment. Someone much smarter than I will have to come along with an answer.

Got me stumpped too also.

I work in acres and acres at 1:1 scale don't fit on to a plotter very well. Thus go to Paperspace quite often. Only thing I can think of at this point is to apply the symbol to front face of the drawing about to plotted from Paperspace. That would keep things to a constant size then.

Wm.

If I understand what your trying to do, this sounds like a situation where annotative blocks would be ideal. Otherwise I don't think this is possible. Are you having to scale each symbol one at a time or do you select all symbols and scale them in the properties dialog? By doing it in the properties dialog the symbols coordinates remain at the point of insertion.

I must select one by one symbol, pick the base point for resizing (to have it on original position) and change its size in Properties. Its very difficult.

Not very long ago someone told me about annotative blocks (as ScribbleJ does) but I am not very familiar with that. Whats going on if you make some block to be annotative? Is there separated annotative scale? How can I make block to be annotative?