Help needed (sketching a boiler room)

Nick-H-

Just wonderd if i could get some tips, I work for a building services company (of 2 weeks) we install boiler rooms etc...

tommorow im being sent to draw a boiler schematic, to then draw up in CAD, I have never been out to site to draw one up on my own before i have just received the sketches off engineers.

Could anyone give me any tips on how to sketch an isometric i am quite worried i might get it wrong as ive never done one before, the engineer was going to come out with me and help me on my first few but hes busy and says it should be a doddle

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nick-H-

• ReMark

• B_money

• skipsophrenic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant give you any specific ways of doing it because iv'e never dome it myself.

My best tip for you though would be to take a camera and as many photo's as possible. Trust me. when I goto site to measure a stair, thats the 1st thing in my bag.

I cant give you any specific ways of doing it because iv'e never dome it myself.

My best tip for you though would be to take a camera and as many photo's as possible. Trust me. when I goto site to measure a stair, thats the 1st thing in my bag.

Oh yes i will definatley be taking my camera, im going to take a movie clip with it to

Remember all those measurements that you wish the engineer made and wrote down on the sketches that they gave you? Those will be the ones that you will get. The one that you forget will be the obvious one.

Since you aren't going untill tommorow, you (hopefully) will have some time today to plan it. Write down some notes while looking at previous drawings that you have done. Create a generic worksheet with blanks for the obvious dimensions. If there is one thing that your Engineers consistently forget to record, add that to your sheet. If you play your cards right, you may even be able to get your Engineers to adopt your measurement worksheet so all the future sketches come back to you in a more standard format thus reducing your drawing time and stress levels.

If you continue to do site visits, update the sheet with what you forgot on this one. The more you do, the more complete you worksheet will be. Naturally, once you get it to the point where it is perfect - you won't need it anymore.

Good luck, the first one is always the most worrisome.

Glen

When you take your photo's always have some way of Knowing this size of the

object your taking a picture of.

Whenever i'm asked to draw a bridge (work in rail structures) i KNOW the briks in

that are 225mm deep, with a 5mm all round of mortar, so all i do is "Count the

bricks.

See if theres anything like that you can use with your photo's.

Also take plenty of paper and mak your own sketches of the room/layout etc.

I dont know if i forgot to say its only a 2D schematic so wont be anything to measure as such, but still I have never done this on my own before.

Drawing bridges sounds cool BTW, bet that is hard!!

I dont know if i forgot to say its only a 2D schematic so wont be anything to measure as such, but still I have never done this on my own before.

Well at the end of the day, your ability to understand working systems and their depencies on one another is mainly of importance. If you cannot understand the system you are drawing you have a large problem, this is where just knowing CAD is not sufficient in all draughting job roles.

If this is your first task and your being left to your own devices, i suggest you give it your best shot without worrying to much about it.

As mentioned above, you will learn from the experience, its the best tutor of them all!

Good luck!

I started work with company that does similar drawings and i had no experience of it either, if you have no drawn an isometric sketch before i would suggest using the drawing view 'sw isometric' makes it pretty easy for oyu once you know the layout of the boiler room....

Very similar to what i would be drawing, they can be tricky but like a previous post said just take loads of photos even if it seems like you dont need to there is always 1 photo you wish you had taken!

once you have done a few of them you will be fine8)

I would not detail bends/tee's, once you have the correct number of valves, location and what type of valve they are, every engineer is differant so its up to them how much detail they want you to put in it, i would do a simple sktech and let them develop it with you.

Ahhhh.....the ignorance of youth. No insult intended. Been there...sketched that.

Back in the good old days, when paper, pencil and a clipboard were just some of the tools of the trade I found that the best way to make an isometric field sketch was to use a piece of vellum (high grade tracing paper) taped over an isometric grid (codex graphic paper, no. 32.292 trilinear). I also carried a small plastic triangle and an isometric piping template by Rapidograph. It just made the job that much easier.

I always sketched all bends and tees (it helps to know which way is North by the way or have a known point of reference). Yes, you can draw it "spread out" as in "not to scale". Sometimes that just becomes necessary to get all the detail in or to avoid confusion in a crowded area of the piping.

It was at first but like scott said

experience, its the best tutor of them all!

Now i just get on and do what's asked for maybe a bit more if it looks like its required, but on the most part it's ok, just time consuming. but when i drew my first one, it took a while, i've been doing the job 3 years now and still make mistakes, but i try not t repeat the same one twice :thumbsup:

Nick,

How can I help.

Been working with autocad for 15 years.

I recommend site measurements, get to the work station,

and draw it up.

Draw the 2d diagram first (use offices layering)

For the isometric, set autocad to iso and draw your diagram