Print Tab Names When Publishing

Seann

I re-installed autocad yesterday becasue it went crazy ex-girlfriend on me and wouldn't listin or behave. Now when I publish my layout tab names don't print so my files auto replace over one another. Where is my system variable for that? HELP! :cry:

I hear, "crazy ex-girlfriend on me and wouldn't listin or behave."

I hear your "problem" but, don't understand the problem.

Hope you make okay well. Let us know.

Im thinking he's saying that when publishing autocad is only bringing in the name of the file and not the name of the file and layout. usually it looks like filename - layout name. If he has multiple layouts in each file (like i do) the he has the issue of them all being named with the same name, if plotting to a plotter this shouldnt be an issue but when plotting to PDF this would be a problem becaue page 1 with title filename is going to be overwritten by page 2 with title filename. Thats what i think the problem he's having is. I dont have a solution ive been trying to figure out how to change how autocad brings sheet names into publish and still havent found anything

Guys, From what I know there are no options in AutoCAD to control this. Where it usually comes from is the PDF Driver itself. I have a number of different Drivers in my system and each can behave differently - some add the layout name whilst others don't.

One that I can suggest does do it is PDF995 - it's a nice and simple PDF Print Driver to use and won't break the bank at just $US9.95. Another that is far more 'controllable' is Acroplot pro. It has all the bells and whistles and allows you some pretty cool controls over how the drawing is output. It is about the only PDF software out there that specifically targets the AutoCAD market and really understands what AutoCAD's all about.

Here's a link for your review: http://www.cadzation.com/

It doesnt seem to matter what pdf plotter i use, before i even select what pdf plotter i want to use it brings the sheet name in as filename-layoutname

If you are publishing the same files you can edit the sheet name in the publish dialog box and then save the .dsd and just publish the .dsd it uses whatever name you give it and you dont have to worry about renaming everytime.

also have you tried a repair since it seems that there is no sys. variable to control this?

As for the PDF995 response, no thanks. We use to use that as our printer and we had nothing but problems. In publish options there isn't anything in there that I saw when looking casue thats what I thought of first.

Now I just wish i wouldn't have re-installed AutoCAD. I think I would have rather delt with the errors when starting to keep my publishing ok.

PS. As for Autocad's service response:

Issue

When you use the plot to file option, the file name of the output file is a compound of the name of the file printed and the layout name, separated by a hyphen.

Solution

This behavior of the plot to file option is as designed; it cannot be changed.

Note: If the file is plotted from model space, the word Model is used after the name of the file printed. For example, Drawing1-Model.plt.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?

Yeah let me know how to get my standard file to do that again......

Have you tried downloading one of the free pdf drivers and plotting with that?

just run a search on google for "free pdf drivers"

I use cutePDF when i have the chance

Its not a matter of what plotter is being used its a matter of how autocad brings the files into the publish dialog box, you could be plotting to a printer in your office and it still brings the sheet name in as dwgfile-layout name. I tried cute pdf and it seems to add an extra step when publishing to name each file before its saved, this can be useful for Sean in his current situation, he can add layout name or something so they dont overwrite eachother but it doesnt effect how the sheet name is initially brought in