Is AutoCad 2010 the one to use for this ?

Brian Hancock

G'day, What a great site, you guys are doing a terrific job. Just a quick question though. I want to design a Caravan with Swing-Out-Walls and Slide-Out-Roofs etc, and I want the result to be able to be viewed in 3D and Animated (so that I can see the Roofs Slide and Walls Swing etc). So my question is simply this - Is AutoCAD 2010 the program to use or should I be considering a completely different type of program for achieving this ? I've noticed that the Inventor and Revit programs both get quite a few mentions on this site as to their growing popularity - so are these programs perhaps more appropriate choices than AutoCad 2010 ? Keep in mind I do need AutoCad type Accuracy, and the ability to display and print Annotations and Dimensions that can be toggled on and off, and ideally (if possible) an Auto-Generated Materials List, Cutting List and Costing List... and (in a perfect world) the ability to display it with Photo-realistic Rendering/Shadows etc. Does AutoCAD 2010 fulfill all (or most) of these requirements ? And if not does anything out there fit the bill ? .. and if so, which one is the best ? And.. if no one (1) program can do all this, then which two (2) should I use together ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time, Brian Hancock

Welcome to CADTutor Brian. You might want to remove your email address. It isn't a good idea to post one's email address in a public forum.

I would recommend taking a look at Inventor as I think it will satisfy most of your requirements.

You would be more looking to invest in Solidworks or Autodesk Inventor.

Solid works is slightly more user friendly and a bit cheaper than Inventor. Both packages are similar as to what you are looking to achieve.

Thanks guys for responding to my Question. 1 more question though, I have a trail version of AutoCAD Inventor 2010 Suite, but once installed, it comes up with what appears to be just straight AutoCAD 2010, not Inventor ? Is something missing from the Install or do both GUI's look the same ? What I mean is.. is the AutoCAD 2010 Suite with Mechanical, Electrical, Engineering etc options, what they call "The AutoCAD Inventor Suite"? ..(I figured now that AutoCAD 2010 is boasting about having proper 3D, that this May be the case), .. or is the Inventor 2010 Suite a different animal altogether ? The ISO file size of my trial version is 1.83gigs. I'm actually using my fathers laptop at the moment and he has a copy of just straight "AutoCAD 2010" on it, and its ISO file size is only 566mb ? ... Plus there was no mention of, or option to select "Inventor" during the install, just the name "AutoCAD 2010" displayed a few times.?? Any help would be good, thanks again. Brian.

Welcome to CADTutor Brian. You might want to remove your email address. It isn't a good idea to post one's email address in a public forum.

I would recommend taking a look at Inventor as I think it will satisfy most of your requirements.

Agree use Inventor. Every version after 08 is great. Very good program. Or if you don't like autodesk products, Solidworks, The interface is somewhat similar to Inventor. Either one will easily get the job done.

• 1 month later...

hi all, currently testing solidworks 2009 trial ver.but looking to run inventor alongside for comparison .does anyone know of download link-note: resident in ireland most autodesk links are for us and canada. anyone willing to post a trial disc to ireland?

Then go online at the AutoDesk UK website and fill in the form to request a trial version of AutoCAD.

Jeez, why does AutoDesk have to make this so difficult?

Then go online at the AutoDesk UK website and fill in the form to request a trial version of AutoCAD.

Jeez, why does AutoDesk have to make this so difficult?

:D:D:D lol :D:D:D