Save as a .pdf file?

Tridraft

I attempted a search on this subject but kept getting errors.

How do I save AI2010 .idw's as a .pdf file for export. Is there an easier way or file type to save to so I can export to my client or onto a disk for them? My end product is a hard copy and a CD with all the images in .pdf format for their continued use.

Thanks,

Hi,

Click the Menu Browser (The AI logo on the top left corner), select "Save As" option and click the arrow, then select "Save Copy As" option. A "Save Copy As" dialog pops-up, under the Save As type click on the scroll bar and select the file extension you intended to save it. Such as PDF, BMP, JPG... etc...

First of all I am actually using AI 10, not AI 2010.

I had tried the "Save Copy As" but only had the options of idw, dwg, dxf, bmp, and dwf.

I'd hate to have to do yet another end run due to the glitchy software but I don't know what else to do. Looks like I might have to save as bmps but don't know if my clients will like that option.

Also, when I click on the AI logo, upper left corner, all I get is minimize, maximize, etc.

Thanks for your suggestion. Any others?

Probably the easiest solution for now would be to get a PDF print driver ie: PDF995 or similar.

I have used it before and it works very well. It's free and the only drawback is that after you print it opens your browser to their website.

KC

Thanks guys but still not working. I'm beginning to feel the way Slim did while riding the big steel pony. Nothing to do but wave my hat...

I'm using a DWG2PDF software that I bought some time ago. It works when the wind is right but not very dependable. It requires that I save the files as a dwg so I can format as pdf. When I do save as a dwg from AI 10 it zips the file and then insists that the file is open and can only open in a read only format. When that does open all my inserted text is gone. Only the images and idw dimensions remain.

I THOUGHT I was finished for the night.

Download CutePDF or PrimoPDF. Both Free. No Banners or Webpage launches.

http://cutepdf.com/

Also you are using a version of the software that is over four years old. You might want to consider an upgrade soon as a lot of new features are in the newer versions including a solution to your current dilemma. In fact this function has been in AutoCAD since release 2007 if I recall correctly.

If you upgrade to the newer versions of Inventor they actually do print PDFs as you see from above AND they can save as an Inventor DWG & IDW. I know upgrade isn't an answer to your question, but you really need to look into it.

Thanks to all who responded; especially MarkFlayler. I downloaded the free CutePDF and was able to meet a deadline.

Yes, I need to upgrade but in the meantime - CADTutor came through again!

Thanks.