"The solid does not lie in the positive XYZ octant&quot

noboost4you

Hi there. I found CADTutor Forums via Google. It was the first autocad related forum to pop up, so I know this place must be good.

I'm not that new to Autocad. I took an Autocad class 2 years ago, and just started to get back into it. I've been taught on and continue to use AutoCAD 2004.

In that class, I made a 3D Solid of a Piston and Connecting Rod. I'm in a class now where we are able to do Rapid Prototyping. I was authorized to RP this Solid I made 2 years ago.

When I try to Export it as a STL file, I selected the object to Export. When that was done, it gave me the error of "The solid does not lie in the positive XYZ octant"

To my knowledge, it is in the positive area. How can I fix this error? I'm quite stumped.

Thank you very much, Bryan

I've run into this message before and successfully dealt with it by moving the desired objects to a position where every portion was in a positive x,y,z point in space. In other words, all coordinates of the objects' bounding box are positive.

Guest Bloodwig80

Seant is correct, you have to physically move your object into positive space. For me, the easiest way is to draw a small line that starts on 0,0 and then move my part to positive space, then repeat from the side view, top view, front view, etc.

some rapid prototyping programs move it to positive space automatically, some dont.

• 1 year later...

I also am having this problem.I've tried everything I can think of,without success. As far as I can tell, my solid lies in the +xyz octant.Am I missing something,or doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated:?

I do not have a particular Dwg. I need to export as STL yet.I was just practicing to see if I would be able to do it when the time comes.I have attached a sample solid that I was trying. When I do inquiry, all bounding box coord's are +. I have tried moving UCS, and moving the solid, but continue to get the same error. Thanks for your help.

STL export test.dwg

I think it needs to be in the positive octant of the WCS. If you switch to the WCS and do an inquire you will see the bounding box is not in the proper octant.

• 9 months later...

I have read the forum notes about solid needs to be in the positive xyz octant.

Can someone please just walk me through it step by step,

Sequence, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Real quick tip.

Make sure that you have moved it to the positive on x, y and z axis.

Use the viewcube and click on front back top left right etc, check them all against your UCS.

Like the rest of the guys have said type LIST and check if any of them are negative.

Hope you get it sorted.

Seant is correct, you have to physically move your object into positive space. For me, the easiest way is to draw a small line that starts on 0,0 and then move my part to positive space, then repeat from the side view, top view, front view, etc.

Working in the WCS (World Coordinate System) Follow the above advice. You may have to adjust the UCS when you are in the side view.

It's really quite simple, try it.

• 5 years later...

if you are facing this kind of error

"The solid does not lie in the positive XYZ octant"

than dont be panic..

follow the steps

1) go to SW Isometric view

2) type line command (i.e L )

3) specify first point at 0,0,0

4) specify second point at any positive axis like 5,5,5 (in case of large object you can use 50,50,50 etc)

5) then make .stl file n be happy:D