Making a curved shape Solid

chris b smith

Hi

I just found this forum, so I thought i give it a go. i got a limited knowledge of AutoCAD, I use 2008 lt. the problem I have is that I am trying to make a object with curved sides solid. I know how to make an object with straight side solid, using the solid command, but I am trying to make an object with curves solid. I managed to hatch with a solid but the problem is when I export this object to Coral Draw the objects created with the hatch command wont export with the hatch. Has any one any advise as this is driving me up the wall.

Thanks Chris:(

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• chris b smith

• chelsea1307

• Glen Smith

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the AutoCAD 2008 and AutoCAD LT Bible by Ellen Finkelstein...

"SOLID creates solidly filled 2D areas (bears no relation to 3D solids). SOLID creates straight-edged shapes."

Based on the above I think curves are out.

silly question but why cant you pdf it ? then inport that ? you only want it as an image ?, i just exported as a bmp and it opened fine in corel paintshop pro as well

Hi Sparkyuk

Perhaps I should explain a little more detail, I created this design that will be cut out using a laser cutter. The laser cutter only runs with Corel Draw, any solid parts will be etched not cut. So I draw in AutoCAD import into Coral, this has worked with most of the things I have cut and etched out, but this design with its curved shapes to be etched are a problem to me.:oops:

Region

"Converts an object that encloses an area into a region object."

"Regions are two dimensional areas you create from closed shapes or loops."

Consult your AutoCAD Help file for further details.

Sometimes the knowledge we seek is no further than our own fingertips. Right?

Hi Ipseifert & ReMark

I been having a go with your suggestions, and I have had a thought, the problem is not with AutoCAD to fill in a curved shape with a solid fill as I have now managed that thanks to you. The problem is when I import in to Coral Draw. I have managed to import a rectangle filled, using the solid command, so we know that works, what I thought was to create a background of a solid fill then remove the parts I don’t want solid, I have attached a sample solid rectangle with a shape overlaid, I need to find out how to remove the fill from the overlaid shape. Do you know the way to do this?

Chris

how accurate do you need to be? does it have to be one solid or could it be multiple small solids? If you dont have to be super super accurate you can make it using a bunch of small triangles(the smaller the better) i attached what i got using multiple solids, far from perfect i was working fast but a possibility if it doesnt have to be just one. the one above your hatch is multiple solids

wing 4.dwg

Do you just want it filled with a solid color or are you talking about an actual 3D solid? Maybe its just the way I'm reading your posts, but I'm confused as to what you are looking for. The boundary and regeon commands will make most any closed polyline into a 3D solid plane (or face), which can then be extruded to make a true 3D solid with a thickness.

Glen