Drawing to the correct dimensions

zipper

Hi everyone,

I need to draw a flange which has to be cut out at an engineering shop, its a basic shape and easy to draw. Now here is my problem:

I need to draw in mm, as the measurments I have are in mm. I do know that autocad doesnt see mm/inches/cm etc...it just sees units, from my research, it states that I have to tell autocad that I want 1mm to equal 1 unit...but I cannot get it right..

I was told to goto to the dimension tab=> dimension style => modify => primary units and then type 25.4 in the scale factor box...so I did it.....and re-drew my whole drawing...then after I printed it, the measurments on the paper was incorrect!

Its frustrating, confusing and the more I research about it, the confusing its getting :(

Can someone please help me by giving me a full explanation on how to take my measurments I have (which is in mm), draw it on autocad, and then print it onto a A4 piece of paper in 1:1 scale...

Please, please I really need the help :(

Go to Format>>Units or just type units in the commandline

Change the type to "Engineering"

Change the insertion scale to "Millimeter"

Then everything you draw will be in mm

Thanks for your response! But its still not working :-(

Let me explain to you what I did from the very beginning:

I open up AutoCAD2007; i then went to file=> new; I then opened "acad"; then went to Format=>units; changed it to "Engineering" and changed the insertion scale to millimeters; I then drew a line of 10 units; printed it; after measureing it with my ruler, the line is 24mm (not 10mm)

So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your response! But its still not working :-(

Let me explain to you what I did from the very beginning:

I open up AutoCAD2007; i then went to file=> new; I then opened "acad"; then went to Format=>units; changed it to "Engineering" and changed the insertion scale to millimeters; I then drew a line of 10 units; printed it; after measureing it with my ruler, the line is 24mm (not 10mm)

So what am I doing wrong?

Did you dimension the line in CAD? What result did you get? Your problem might be in the way you printed...