3D Golf Ball?

fewer_98

Is there anyway to draw a Golf Ball in 3d in AutoCad? I work with a few people who use Pro-E and they have been trying to do it, but haven't, and I thought if it could be done in AutoCAD this is the place to ask :). Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• craigp

• fewer_98

• buburayak

• Methuselah

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there anyway to draw a Golf Ball in 3d in AutoCad? I work with a few people who use Pro-E and they have been trying to do it, but haven't, and I thought if it could be done in AutoCAD this is the place to ask :). Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

It is achievable by drawing a SPHERE first.

Now draw a CYLINDER to the correct dimensions.

Move this cylinder centre point to the top centre of the sphere.

Now using the 3D ARRAY command you can send the single cylinder around the sphere and the copy and rotate this all around the solid.

Hope this helps!! :D :D

I'm getting close, but I can't quite get it.. The array at the bottom doesn't come out right.. (i'm probably not doing it right..)

if you array the cylinder around both centre axis you can then on the horizontal one go all through them one by one and do this. I am trying to draw one so i know how to explain it to you. Keep in touch i am sure we can solve this. :)

Just realised you have to alter the number of items in certain arrays otherwise they end up to close together. Nearly got it doing it this way. Hope you understand wat i mean!!!!!! Maybe this is why its not coming out right at the bottom as you say?

Just realised you have to alter the number of items in certain arrays otherwise they end up to close together. Nearly got it doing it this way. Hope you understand wat i mean!!!!!! Maybe this is why its not coming out right at the bottom as you say?

yeah, that makes sence.. I'll have to wait til lunch to try it again :-). I'll let you know how I come out! Thanks for your help..

yeah, that makes sence.. I'll have to wait til lunch to try it again :-). I'll let you know how I come out! Thanks for your help..

No problem i had no idea how to draw this either really just had a 15min play around. Glad to help you out though mate. Speak to you soon :)

Post the image on the showcase when you have finished it so we can have a look :D

Here's my VERY basic attempt. I have not filleted all of the holes and also the holes are FAR TOO DEEP but not too bad for a 1st attempt! :(

golf%20ball.jpg

I had the exact same one on but took it off for that reason (just in case).

Well done looks good. It would look perfect if you were to fillet the edge of EVERY hole with a very small radius but this would take years!

I had the exact same one on but took it off for that reason (just in case).

Well done looks good. It would look perfect if you were to fillet the edge of EVERY hole with a very small radius but this would take years!

Yeah, thats the next thing I'm going to do. I'm going to try to do a better one tonight, but that is the gist of it.. Thanks for the help. The pro-E people were pretty impressed :-)

What if you did the same thing you did to create this one except you arrayed small spheres around to subtract insted of cylinders?

:) Thats what i was goign to do tonight..

What if you did the same thing you did to create this one except you arrayed small spheres around to subtract insted of cylinders?

This would work if you used pretty big ones and made them so they JUST intersect the sphere to make a small indentation like on a real golf ball and then subtract them.

Nice thinking :thumbsup: wish i thought of that!!!

Post the revised one tommorrow let us see how much better it looks!