how to scale a drawing?

Jillymaxo

rkent,

Thanks for the information.

So then it'd be: 1 drawing unit to 18 paper units? (You need to know that information to add a scale to the VP scale list.)

TMC.

Yes that is correct, however as Remark Pointed out it should exist in the default imperial scales, 3/4"=1'-0".

I just picked on it and interestingly enough they have it set as 0.75 drawing units to 12 paper units, but it all gets you to the same place.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• The Mad Cadder

• Dadgad

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for pointing that out rkent. To make it clearer I went back and changed it to: 1/96xp is equivalent to 1/8"=1'-0" and so on. I hope that avoids any confusion I may have caused.

I didn't think you caused any confusion, I was pointing out to The Mad Cadder that they took 3/4" and somehow came up with 3:4, but it is all good.

Just out of curiosity I open two new drawings in AutoCAD 2010.

The first one was a template that utilized imperial units. I went to Layout1 and checked the scale list. All of architectural scales, such as 3/4"=1'-0", were listed exactly as shown. The second one was a template that used metric units. I went to Layout1 and checked the scale list. No architectural scales were listed and the scale list was much shorter than that found in the imperial drawing template. There were a total of 17 scales shown that went from 1:1, 1:2, 1:4, 1:5 and 1:8 all the out to 2:1, 4:1, 8:1, 10:1 and 100:1. 1:18 was not shown nor did I expect it to be primarily because this would be a rather odd scale for a metric drawing. In the imperial template there were a total of 33 scales listed.

Mad Cadder. I suggest you do the same and compare scale lists to see what is commonly available. And, as been pointed out, if a scale is required that is not shown then the scale list can be edited using the SCALELISTEDIT command.

Just out of curiosity I open two new drawings in AutoCAD 2010.

The first one was a template that utilized imperial units. I went to Layout1 and checked the scale list. All of architectural scales, such as 3/4"=1'-0", were listed exactly as shown. The second one was a template that used metric units. I went to Layout1 and checked the scale list. No architectural scales were listed and the scale list was much shorter than that found in the imperial drawing template. There were a total of 17 scales shown that went from 1:1, 1:2, 1:4, 1:5 and 1:8 all the out to 2:1, 4:1, 8:1, 10:1 and 100:1. 1:18 was not shown nor did I expect it to be primarily because this would be a rather odd scale for a metric drawing. In the imperial template there were a total of 33 scales listed.

Mad Cadder. I suggest you do the same and compare scale lists to see what is commonly available. And, as been pointed out, if a scale is required that is not shown then the scale list can be edited using the SCALELISTEDIT command.

I have customized my default metric scale list, so that it shows every integer increment from 1:1 to 1:40, as well as a few others like 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, and increments of 5 up to 1:100. Rarely do I need any values which are not already on my drop down scale list. Having said that, I need to get with my own program and stop using the z > xp prompts.

Unless you have an older version of AutoCAD I can't think of a good reason to go and use Zoom > n/XP inputs but as they say "each to his own."

Farce of habit.

Just how I learned to do it.

I'm going to stop using it, as I dislike lengthy "shortcuts", and I know better.