Can't Move Locked Attributes In A Block

thegodplato

Hi,

I have been given some drawings that someone else did and in it are some locked blocks. These are the drawing block itself plus a number of attributes that are editable. What I can't do is move any of the text part of the attribute to a new location - everything is fixed in its place on the drawing and moving the block moves everything as a whole object. I am using LT2006 and stuck.

:cry:

this might be a hard one with LT as i dont think you have a block editor

when the block was created it sounds to me like they were locked in place

dont know if you can but could try exploding the block changing the attribute propities and creating a new block

Before you explode and recreate, try editing the block and unlocking the location of the variables.

Click on the block and type BEDIT (or play hide and seek for the block editor button). Make sure to save a copy to a new name that you can play with before making any changes that you may later regret!

Glen

UGGGG. According to the FAQ, you just missed it. http://www.cadtutor.net/faq/questions/21/What+is+the+difference+between+AutoCAD+%28full%29+and+AutoCAD+LT%3F

The Block Editor was added in LT2007, which explains why I thought you had it. I used LT2008. Can you Write a block out? Type WBLOCK at the command line.

If so, you will have to explode the block, make the changes and then WBLOCK it back out (or simply save each block that you want to create to a dedicated file.) Hopefully someone with more experience in the earlier versions will be along to help soon.

Glen

In LT2006 AttEDIt only gives me the option to change the text of the attributes not move, damn. I'm resigning myself to the fact that I might have to upgrade.

If so, you will have to explode the block, make the changes and then WBLOCK it back out (or simply save each block that you want to create to a dedicated file.) Hopefully someone with more experience in the earlier versions will be along to help soon.

Glen

why explode before WBLOCK? WBLOCK the item to a new file then open that file to make the changes. ATTDEFs will appear as text and you should be able to change their properties.

Then

-INSERT OldBlockName=

or

INSERT and navigate to your new definition to update the existing blocks.

why explode before WBLOCK? WBLOCK the item to a new file then open that file to make the changes.

Thats what I get for assuming, just tried it this morning, your way works (no big surprise). I assumed that if you WBLOCK'ed a block, you created a new block that consisted of the old block. One that would require 2 explodes to get to lines and text. I guess AutoCAD is smart enough to not do that.

Glen

:)

WBLOCK (or write block?) is the way to make a block available to other drawings by making a simple dwg file of the block.

If you select & copy a block then paste it in to a new drawing you will get the unexploded block you refer to.

If you now name that file the same as the block name you will get yourself in all sorts of trouble! If you ever get a "block references itself" error message - that is how the block was produced. :)

• 12 years later...

If you want the "GRIPS" to be functional and have the attributes movable by selecting and dragging them, Open Block in REFEDIT or BEDIT, open PROPERTIES - MISC  dialog (at bottom) and change "Lock Position" to NO. Open BATTMAN dialog, select that block,  make sure that the MODE column for said attributes is cleared of the "L" for LOCKED and left click the SYNC buttonm. The attributes will now be selectable and movable.

ATTRIBUTES

Of course, if you aree using AUtoCAD Eledctrical, you could just RT click on the block, select Attributes-Move Attribute. I like them unlocked regardless.

Blocks Unlkd - Lockd.dwg

Edited by MC5fan1968
Improper attachment, typing errors.

If someone else has this issue, currently, this should help them. I didn't find any current posts for this issue. What is the harm?