How to retrieve the closest point to anything ...

MarcoW

Hi to all,

I read some interesting stuff about the vlax-curve-getClosestPointTo and I might find it useful for inserting blocks on lines etc. In my case I put 90% of the blocks (electrical symbols) on walls that are made of lines / plines / whatever an architect comes up with ..waiting.gif . (Note: these architect drawings are loaded as an xref under the actual drawing).

Now I allways use (via macro's):

*^C^C-insert;w1;s;$m=$(getvar,userr1)

Where w1 is the block name and the rest is used to get the correct scale size of the symbol. Because my osnaps automatically turns to "nearest" I manage to place them right on the line.

But I remember I once had an application that allowed me to left-click somewhere in front of the line and it would then insert the block on the nearest point.

thinking.gif How would that be done? For vlax-curve-getClosestPointTo seems only to work on curves, so not plines etc.

This is one of the useful places where I got my info so far:

http://www.asmitools.com/Files/AutoLISP_Help/Functions/vlax-curve-getClosestPointTo.html

At the 'Specify insertion point' type nea (or select the "Nearest" icon from the Object snap toolbar... or Shift+right click to bring up the shortcut menu).

BTW... vlax-curve-getClosestPointTo works on plines, lines, circles, arcs... as long as they are VLA-objects

At the 'Specify insertion point' type nea (or select the "Nearest" icon from the Object snap toolbar... or Shift+right click to bring up the shortcut menu).

BTW... vlax-curve-getClosestPointTo works on plines, lines, circles, arcs... as long as they are VLA-objects

I know it says that in the AutoLisp help, but they don't have to be VLA-OBJECTS. This works just fine:

(setq ent (entsel))
(setq pnt (vlax-curve-getclosestpointto (car ent) (cadr ent)))

I thought that too for a long time, until I forgot to convert and noticed it still worked.