copying layers from drawing to drawing

nigelc

Hi All,

I designed a fire sprinkler plan on its own layer for a carehome. The architects have now modified some areas and sent me a new drawing.

As both drawings are almost the same I tried to copy the sprinkler layer from the old drawing to the new drawing where I will make the small chages needed.

Through design centre I have copied the sprinkler layer to the new plan but all the pipe lines and sprinkler heads do not copy with the layer. What am I doing wrong?

Since this didn't work I selected some of the pipe lines and sprinklers, (which are just donuts), pressed 'Ctrl Copy', went to the new drawing and pressed 'Ctrl V' and the lines and sprinklers copied but was at an angle.

I don't want to redo everything as it is a large care home and it took me three days to design.

thanks for your help.

I'm old fashioned. I would have opened the old drawing and isolated the layer in question and do a copy with base point. Then I would have opened the new drawing and done a paste as block. Why block? Because if I had to "futz" with the angle, for some strange reason, I could do so since the block is just one entity. Once I had it squared away I would explode the block.

Like I said...old fashioned. But it will work.

If you used there base plan as an xref instead of actually editing it when they make changes you just have to change the xref instead of trying to copy all of your information over to a new dwg, this method does have issues if they change the location of the base plan