best computer specs for running cad AS OF OCT2009

meow x

hi new to this forum, was just wondering what system would be best for running autocad 2010, 2009, for 2d & 3d rendering

budget is 700£ = 1,115 USD

sorry ive had a look at a plethora of forums that deal w the question, however they are out dated! so would like a fresh answer...if thats not any trouble!

thanks appreciate

meow x

Didn't you just post a similar question? Let's try to keep it to one question in one forum at a time rather than the same basic question in multiple forums. It makes following the thread of conversation less dificult. Thanks.

Hey, so i'm looking at getting myself a new system (this one sucks!). I will be using SketchUp + VRAY, CAD, Photoshop...and a few other needy progs... wondering if anyone could suggest a spec?

I have been looking at MESH

first one: Elite Inspire £ 429.00 inc VAT Intel® Pentium™ Dual Core™ E5200 Processor(2.5GHz,2MB Cache,800MHz) Genuine Windows 7™ Home Premium Edition - English New Stylish Mini-Tower Micro ATX Chassis with 300W PSU - Piano Black ASUS P5QPL-AM Mainboard - Intel Core™ 2 Duo/Quad Core MATX 4GB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM - (2x 2GB) 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer Samsung 22x Dual Layer DVD Writer Super Format +R/-R/RW/RAM 256MB Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 - (SMA) 20" Widescreen LCD TFT Display 5.1 High Definition onboard sound card - 6 Channel Cinema sound Logitech Deluxe Keyboard & Optical Mouse (Corded) 1 Year Hardware Warranty - Return to Base Parts and Labour (UK Mainland only)

or Elite Premier (09) £ 599.00 inc VAT

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8200 Quad Core Processor(2.33GHz,4MB Cache,1333MHz) Genuine Windows 7™ Home Premium Edition - English New Stylish Mini-Tower Micro ATX Chassis with 300W PSU - Piano Black ASUS P5QPL-AM Mainboard - Intel Core™ 2 Duo/Quad Core MATX 4GB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM - (2x 2GB) 1TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive with 32MB Buffer Samsung 22x Dual Layer DVD Writer Super Format +R/-R/RW/RAM 512MB ATI Radeon HD4350 (Direct X10.1, PCI Express 2.0) - PC Pro Best Value 22" Iiyama ProLite E2208HDS-1 (1920x1080) Full HD Monitor (DVI,VGA,WS,Spkrs - 5ms) 5.1 High Definition onboard sound card - 6 Channel Cinema sound Logitech Deluxe Keyboard & Optical Mouse (Corded) 1 Year Hardware Warranty - Return to Base Parts and Labour (UK Mainland only)

thanks all

id be pushing for 8Gb RAM nowadays, oh and you might want to look into workstation graphics cards depending on how much you'll be using certain applications (especially in 3D).

try also looking at Dell's Precision range, can be found in the small business section on their website. They are catered toward CAD / 3D / imaging professionals and most (if not all) have either quadro / fireGL workstation cards.

• 2 weeks later...

hello everyone, what could have been wrong with my pc, i am really getting hopeless in using autocad for 3d rendering. i have Intel Pentium® 4 3.0GHz, 4GB RAM but my autocad 2009 application still stuck. Very slow. At the material tool when you want to adjust the opacity of a material it is very sticky. Is this a hardware problem or software?

i haav no problems when doing 2d drawing only when i do the 3d.Especially when i render a house, it is not responding. I hope you can help me guys.

i am trying to invest an Intel i7 and upgrade my RAM to 8GB but is it worth doing.What if there is still no improvements? Please help me guys.

There will be definite improvements if you go to an i7, however that processor requires triple channel memory so 8GB is out of the question, 12GB would be more likely since you have to install in 3's (three 4GB memory modules). Be sure to get an upgraded stand alone graphics accelerator as well with at least 512MB of RAM. That will be plenty.

Having said that, your render times will improve but they will still take a long time, there is NOTHING more brutal to computer processing power than 3D rendering. :)

Thank you StykFacE i will consider that. i am just not so happy to know that rendering still takes a long time even if i will be having a top of the line pc. but thanks, it really helps.

icon1.gif

Are there any other programs running concurrent with AutoCAD?

What do you have for a graphics card?

no other program runs concurrent with auocad2009

i have NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB i think.i am not so sure bout it this hardware information but i took this information at the NVIDIA Control Panel's system information.

icon1.gif

Are there any other programs running concurrent with AutoCAD?

What do you have for a graphics card?

no other program runs concurrent with auocad2009

i have NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB i think.i am not so sure bout it this hardware information but i took this information at the NVIDIA Control Panel's system information.

Your video card is PLENTY enough. The rest of the specs, I'm not so sure about. :)